Question Mini hifi or standalone streamer

Ginge75

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm looking to replace my Chromecast audio for streaming Amazon music HD. I currently have my CA connected to a Onkyo CR555 mini hifi and playing through Q acoustics 3020 speakers. I'm considering either adding a Bluesound node 2i to my existing system or replacing my Onkyo with a the new Denon ceol n11 and keeping my current speakers. As far as audio quality and usability goes which would be my best option ?

Unless you really need DAB radio you could save yourself some money by looking at the recently discontinued CEOL N10 instead of the N11. Replacing your Onkyo CR555 with either of the CEOLs would be the best option in terms of sound quality and usability for your current needs rather than adding the Node 2i to feed the Onkyo - unless you are thinking of further upgrades in the near future.

Would your budget stretch to a powernode instead?

I’m just this evening starting to look at the powernode. Whatever I choose it will have to be on bnpl. I am slightly leaning towards the Denon, but i don’t know which device has the better DAC.

There's no denying that the Powernode is better in absolute terms but then it's also more than double the cost of the N10...

It's the power sections. The denon's figures are all quoted at 4ohm. That suggests that at 8, it doesn't really have much get up and go. The powernode is streets ahead in that area. 60w into 8ohms.
What about an actual amp + something like a yamaha wxad 10? Much more upgrade potential later. Just a thought.

There's no denying that the Powernode is better in absolute terms but then it's also more than double the cost of the N10...
The Denon has the Texas Instruments dac TAS5142

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom