Mini Hifi: Denon DM41 or Panasonic SC-PMX802 ?

dja360

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m in the market for a mini hifi system and from my research it seems the Denon DM41 is still the number one choice in this category despite not having had an update for quite some time.

I’m also considering the Panasonic SC-PMX802 launched last year but there seem to be very few reviews of this system.

In terms of connectivity, it trumps the DM41 as it has:
  • Bluetooth 4.2
  • Dual-band WiFi
  • DLNA
  • Airplay 2
  • Chromecast built-in
  • Connects to Panasonic’s ALL multiroom speakers.
Specs - SC-PMX802 HiFi & Portable Radio - Panasonic UK & Ireland

As there are very few reviews of the PMX802 and its sound performance, I’m hoping some of you with more knowledge about audio could give me an idea on the differences with the DM41 in that respect. For example, would the Denon give more options for speaker upgrades? I’m considering something like the Q Acoustics 3010i.

I’d be using this system in a very small dining room (10 x 12) and I like the idea of the Panasonic’s connectivity options but sound and build quality are important and it's a bit of an unknown with the PMX802.

Thanks for any advice!

I've auditioned both devices (Denon with Denon SC-M41 speakers).
Panasonic has nice features (USB, wifi, radio) and is built solid. The only difference were speakers - Panasonic speakers sounded boxy, somehow muddy. Denon was much better sounding (clear, precise). But DM41 doesnt have USB input - if that doesnt bother you, Denon is the winner.
If you need USB input, i would take Panasonic but later add some decent passive speakers.

The Panasonic claims 60W. At 3 (!) Ohms and 10% distortion.

Which means around 8Ws at real measurements.

That is appalling. I’d stick firmly with the Denon.

Good choice I’d say. The Denon is not a legend for nothing 👍

Ps, if you’re buying it with speakers, this is a first class price with some very good indeed speakers.

Can anyone recommend a pair of speakers to go with the Denon DM41?
I bought one in the Richer Sounds sale for £199 and want to buy the speakers at a later date when I can afford so just wanted recommendations on what will go with the Denon that are not overkill.

let's not misinform, the data refers to the indication of the maximum power of the device, the same 10% is also reported on the Denon or yamaha mcr n740d or other hifi systems... the data on the effective harmonic distortion on the panasonic they are not mentioned.

let's not misinform, the data refers to the indication of the maximum power of the device, the same 10% is also reported on the Denon or yamaha mcr n740d or other hifi systems... the data on the effective harmonic distortion on the panasonic they are not mentioned.

This is not ‘misinformation’. Work it out.

All the amps you mention are ‘not powerful’ and will provide essentially zero dynamic range.

They will all struggle at anything other than grandmas tea party volume with the majority of compatible priced speakers.

But the Panasonic is the worst.

Can anyone recommend a pair of speakers to go with the Denon DM41?
I bought one in the Richer Sounds sale for £199 and want to buy the speakers at a later date when I can afford so just wanted recommendations on what will go with the Denon that are not overkill.
Try the Q acoustics range - the 3020i or the Concept 20 are not too bad price wise and excellent sound.

Elsewhere on the forum, discussions about problems with the DM41 when they reach the 18month to 2 year, would give me pause for thought.
If you can stretch, think about the RCD N11 by Denon. I used to have one of its predecessors, the RCD N9 with QA Concept 20 speakers. Sounded great indeed.

That may be because Panasonic are embarrassed :(

Try the Q acoustics range - the 3020i or the Concept 20 are not too bad price wise and excellent sound.

Elsewhere on the forum, discussions about problems with the DM41 when they reach the 18month to 2 year, would give me pause for thought.
If you can stretch, think about the RCD N11 by Denon. I used to have one of its predecessors, the RCD N9 with QA Concept 20 speakers. Sounded great indeed.
Thanks for your reply.

I did consider these and the Dali Spektor 2 which are around the same price. Both get good reviews so hard to choose which to go for.

I have the RCDN10 in the living room with the Denon speakers, but bought this in the sale for the bedroom after I have had some work done, hence no rush for the speakers. I will probably wait until the speakers go on sale.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I have PMX802E - so in other words, upgrading speakers to something bigger (shelf Elac) with it makes no sense then?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom