Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mini hi-fi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by P.Smith, Jan 30, 2003.

1. P.Smith

P.Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can somebody please tell me what the best mini hi-fis are? It will go in a bedroom and doesn't need to be too loud but I would like reasonable quality. Am looking to pay around £300-£400. Thanks.

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
  3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  4. P.Smith

P.Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. I will have a look at those. :)

5. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know where you're based but in Comet Mill Hill (North London) today I saw an ex display Denon F100 mini seperates system (receiver, tape and CD) for £270. It had a 4 star review in What HiFi (if that means anything anymore) at £600. They also had a ex display Yamaha E150 for £170ish which is similar in spec and quality to the Denons mentioned already.

If you have a TV in the room your putting the system then Comet also had brand new Sony CMT-M90DVD systems for £200. These look like standard CD micros but they feature DVD video playback (only come with 2 speakers).

Dixons and Currys have a version of the Teac Ref100 CD receiver with speakers that they sell for £150-200 in various promotions. If you went for the Sony or the Teac then it might be worth picking up some better speakers and whichever system you go for I'd suggest upgrading any supplied cables.

Hope these help. I'm shopping for a micro system myself but I'd much rather get an Inca Tec Dirk (brick shaped line amp from the 80's) but I've not seen one come up for sale.

Regards,

WB

6. P.Smith

P.Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice. I often travel around the country so I'm not worried about particular locations. I wanted to avoid micro hi-fis as I think they lack quite a bit in terms of sound. I find that mini system these days can be not much larger anyway. May I ask why you are opting for one?

7. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take your point on micro/mini system quality I think even the more expensive models can sound poor. I'm also looking for a bedroom system. The systems are winning the style war and most of them can be used as clock radios which is a plus. However, I'm going to keep looking at the mini seperates options or even some AE Aego active speakers from Unbeatable for £100 partnered with a CD player and a Musical Fidelity Xcans Headphone Amp. I've already got some fantastic headphones to go with it.

Regards,

WB