Mini fridge making projector image drop out

KHousein90

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a problem with my setup every time the compressor kicks in on my husky drinks cooler my projector looses signal to my pioneer AV reciever (via hdmi) for a few seconds, even though my projector is plugged in the other side of the room, anyone have any clue as to what I can do? Will a power conditioner help sort the problem out ? All my gear is running through surge protectors also incase anyone suggests that [emoji16]

I have a similar fridge (mine is a 'Budweiser' fridge) and it causes a 'pop' through my speakers when it cuts in and out. I have it in my conservatory and my second AV system out there is on the same circuit. It shouldn't do it, but as it's a cheap fridge I suspect that the spark suppressor is either missing/faulty or more likely just insufficient quality/rating for the job.

It's only used occasionally, so I've not got round to having a look at replacing/fitting a better suppressor, but in short I think they probably all do it. In fact seeing as my OH insists on using it mostly in the summer (when the conservatory is warm of course, so it runs continuously) then I'm tempted to ditch it as it's a waste of electricity...it never contains beer either, just overflow from the main fridge which then gets forgotten and goes past sell by date. :rolleyes:

Interesting, it's strange as I have the fridge, avr, a mood lamp and a ps4 all plugged into a monster power center and it only affects the projector plugged into a Belkin surge protector on the other side of the room lol I might get a power conditioner and see if that helps or maybe the hdmi cable plugged from the reciever to the projector isn't of good quality and is getting interference [emoji20] who knows, the room is an actual man cave so really want the fridge in there

How long is the HDMI cable from your AVR to PJ? I had a 10m+ one and I got drop outs from all sorts of household appliances (fridge, CH thermostat, UFH thermostat, microwave, boiler). Moving to an 8m cable solved most of them and adding a splitter in line seemed to get the rest of them.

I haven't had any drop outs for a while.

The cable is 10m, only the fridge affects mine, might get a higher quality cable that's shielded as the one I'm using now is a budget one from eBay haha

The cable is 10m, only the fridge affects mine, might get a higher quality cable that's shielded as the one I'm using now is a budget one from eBay haha

Is it easy for you to test it with a shorter cable first to see if it solves the problem? It would be a shame to spend out on an expensive cable and not solve the problem.

When I swapped cables, I deliberately stayed with a cheap one - not because of the cost but because I wanted a flat one to go under my skirting board and only cheap ones seemed to fit.

If you need a 10m total run, and you find a shorter cable works, then I'd be tempted to go for a cheap splitter, run a 2m cable between that and your AVR and an 8m onwards from the splitter to your PJ. That is what worked for me, and is probably still cheaper in total than a high end 10m cable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom