1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini DV to PC to DVD ????

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Sharkey, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Sharkey

Sharkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All

Just got my Sony TRV33E, and was wondering what steps I take to get my video recordings from camera to DVDs that I can pass around to my family.

I have Moviemaker2

Hope someone can help

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Ok the cam you have is a great start, but you will likely need to spend a little more money (or perhaps even a lot more, depending on your PC :rolleyes: ) to get the DVD of your master piece!

To start with you will need a firewire input. Many newer PC's already have these, but if not you need to pay around £20 from www.dabs.com etc to get a PCI firewire card - this should include a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable which is also required. Don't pay £20-£30 in Dixons etc for it.
    Next you will need editing software. This can be done with MS Movie Maker 2 but will be quiet basic, but is a great starting point.. If this is good enough then fine, otherwise look for programmes such as Ulead Video Studio (I think :confused: ) or Pinnacle Studio (version 9 just released so v8 can be got for about £30 or less) for about £40.
    You then need some programme to author a DVD such as Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 or others from the likes of Pinnacle (separate prog or can be done from within Studio) etc
    Other than that you just need a DVD burner (obviously) and plenty of free disk space as captured video takes 1Gb of space for every 4 minutes you capture, that's approx 15Gb per hour :eek: . I would also suggest that you have at least 512Mb of RAM, otherwise everything will take forever to happen (well it will do anyway, but forever will just be a lot longer :devil: ). but this can always be added at a later date.

The above hopefully gives you some good ideas to get you started. Let us know how you get on and ask the questions that WILL arise as you get started. Good luck and have fun with it.

Mark.

3. ShortBread

ShortBread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes MarkE19 is spot on there, but just to add a few points.

Studio 8 (or 9) is prolly the best software u need because it does everything and u dont need to mess about with other progs.

Make sure u have at least 20G of free hd space for when u capture of ur camcorder! I got caught out with that 1 :D

Finally, if ur planning to watch the dvds on a ps2/xbox, purple dye blank discs wont work. I also got caught out with that. The best disks to buy for a gaming console (altho every1 is different) is the G04s.

4. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I thought he G04's were a deep purple colour. I presume you mean the ritek G04's ?

5. Sharkey

Sharkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all that great info, few questions

What is authoring?

Will the files be smaller when they have been authored, for archiving?

I am just about to buy a new PC are all firewire cards the same and does PC processing power count?

Thanks All

PS MARKE, how did u get emoticons on your replys?

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This is the process of constructing the files (VOB etc) that provide the program stream & navigation data for your project to conform to DVd-Video standards.

It is the encoding to MPEG-2 that compresses your .avi DV files. MPEG-2 is the basic format of your video on DVD. This compression may occur outside your authoring program you use or as part of the authoring process dependant on which authoring program you use.

There are many manufacturers of firewire cards & they will have different chipsets on. That said generic firewire cards are pretty cheap & it shouldn't matter greatly which you choose, it should do the job. With any video editng etc processing power counts ! Again most new processors available should be up to the task. It doesn't have to be the fastest available now to get you started in video editing & DVD authoring, but faster processor you get the quicker your PC will render the required files.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    At the bottom right hand side of the last post in a thread use the 'Post Reply' button and don't just type the reply in the box at the bottom of the screen. This opens a new page with the 'smilies' on the left of the 'Reply' box.
    If you need to refer to old replies then scroll down the page and they are towards the bottom with the newest reply at the top, just below the 'submit Reply' button.

As vonhosen said, authoring is basically adding menus and chapters to your footage and then creating the correct format for the files to be read by a DVD player.
    DVD files are compressed into the MPEG-2 format so that more can be squeezed onto a disk. Also a DVD player can not read an AVI file. A standard DVD disk can hold 4.7Gb which as AVI is only about 20 minutes of footage, but in high quality MPEG-2 is around 1 hour.

HTH,
    Mark.