1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini DV to DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Alastair Gunnee, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Alastair Gunnee

Alastair Gunnee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know there were some threads relating to this but if anybody is kind enough to reply to this then imagine I know nothing about this stuff and you won't be far off the truth.
    I bought a Sony DCR-TRV33 (miniDV) last year - mainly to take footage of my honeymoon. The result is about 5hrs worth of footage from all over the USA. First it would be nice to edit it down so i could have a 'highlights' film. The only software I have is PIXELA ImageMixer which came with the camcorder. Doesn't seem to be great. Any ideas? I then figured it'd be better if I put the footage onto DVD so at least I could fast forward through the dull bits, and also for longterm storage. I did this via ImageMixer (USB link) but the quality is awful. If I play my DV tape direct through the TV quality is fantastic but the DVD quality is awful. Is there any way I can put my DV tape footage on DVD and maintain quality.
    Thanks in advance.
    Al

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You'll need firwire port on your PC
    Some decent inexpensive simple software to take you from import to PC through editing , MPEG encoding & DVD auhtoring.
    Then you'll need a DVD burner.

If you haven't got firewire you can get a generic firewire card (don't use firewire port on Soundblaster audio card etc) & it will come with a cable for probably about £15-20 at places like dabs.com or ebuyer.

Software I would reccomend something like Vegas movie studio http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=932

DVD burner , loads to choose from (I like the Pioneer burners) again from dabs or ebuyer etc.

That's all you need (apart from some blank discs to burn to)

Good Luck

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As already stated by vonhosen you need to connect your TRV-33 (nice cam by the way :thumbsup: ) to the PC via firewire (aka iLink, ieee1394 or DV port) as the USB connection only gives something like web cam quality (as you found out). Do a search on this forum for 'firewire' and you should get loads of information about editing on a PC from the likes of me, vonhosen, Beejaycee etc etc as there are a few of us that can con you into thinking we actually know what we are talking about :D .
    If you do the above search then you should find a link posted by me to ebuyer for a firewire card for around £8, so not too steep. As for software then if you have Windows XP you have MS Movie Maker to do the capture & editing, just make sure you have the latest updates from MS to get to MM2. Full instructions and trouble shooting for it can be found at www.papajohn.org
    You say you have already created DVD's, so you must already have a DVD burner and software. If you need any help with it then let us know what software you have for creating the discs and we will see what we can do.

Good luck with the new hobby. Enjoy it and let us know how you get on.

Mark.