Mini DV Timecode Errors Thread

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by josaka, Feb 22, 2014.

1. josaka

josaka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    Looked around the forums but found no answers :)

I have quite a few Mini DV tapes which have recorded material on them..
    But the time code is corrupt and disappears at a certain different point on different tapes..

I have a sony dsr-11 and a Sony DCR-PC105E .. the tapes(also recorded on a sony dv cam) react the same at the same points (just going blank) the same happens when I attempt to record with my computers(using a range of different softwares FCPX/Premier/quicktime and a host of others I've tried)
    ..also the exact same thing happens via the analogue outputs on both cams..

100% there is footage on the tapes ..will copying it via firewire from cam to deck (to create a new timecode) make this visible or is there a different way?

thanks

jos

2. josaka

josaka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    also.. Does anyone know of a mini dv deck or cam that ignores timecode playback? ..or has that option to turn the reading of it off?

3. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Not a common problem, and getting less-so . . . . . Are you a Member of a film-making club? - that's often the way to have access to those "unusual facilities"

- OR - Hopefully someone will have overcome this issue -
    Was your timecode record faulty I wonder - but I never used tapes, so SDHC cards have different issues....
    ... why not try re-recording and let us know?
    Good Luck.

4. M Stewart

M Stewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I still use MiniDV tapes and remember discussions years ago about time-codes, and the (supposed?) benefits of recording the lens cap throughout the tape, before rewinding to the start, and recording real material. It's not something I've bothered with, and over the years I've had very few problems with drop-outs, but do notice them occasionally. If I remember, I'm now fast forwarding and then rewinding to where the tape was, before more important shoots. (That's on my Sony HDR-HC5, which has had quite a lot of use and has had a few drop-out problems in the last 2 years.)
    Have you tried running a tape cleaner through your camcorder, and are your tapes of the same brand? I had awful drop-out problems a few years ago when using my normal Sony tapes in an ebay purchased and very well used Canon XM2. Changing to Panasonic tapes cured the problem - I then had to remember not to mix tapes.
    I don't know the answer to your specific problem - sorry.

5. doug_1986

doug_1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Hi there,

Not sure if you've figured this out yet, but it's a fairly common problem on tape based rushes - specifically when people record Time of Day :mad:

It can easily be fixed in Final Cut Pro (Not FCP-X) though. If you launch FCP & go to User Preferences, Then in the 'General' tab, look for - "On Timecode Break:" and change to "Warn after Capture". This will have FCP basically ignore timecode breaks and carry on capturing, and will, predictably, warn you of them after capture.

You can then head to Log & Capture and use the 'Capture Now' option (Don't try to do it by logging in and out points before capture, as the timecode is screwed so it won't manage it)

The problem with this, however, is that if you ever want to recapture these tapes, they won't have the same timecode again as you got the first time (they might, but risky). To avoid this, you need to do what you guessed above, and dub to a new master with fresh timecode (using deck's internal TCG). Your choice, but for what you want, I shouldn't worry.

;)

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,183

They aren't supposed benefits. A continuous time code allows a high speed run through and the creation of a tape index with thumbnails for each clip - a 90 min tape can be indexed in a few minutes. Advanced DV capture software lets you create a download list of these clips in any order (basically a rough story line cut at the import stage). This capture can be re-created or edited and repeated on any future occasion. This is impossible with a non continuous time code.

This software could do some amazing things with DV camera footage

ScenalyzerLive Page

7. doug_1986

doug_1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Just to add, this process is called 'striping' a tape.