1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mini dv tape problem

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kris_uk2003, Sep 8, 2004.

1. kris_uk2003

kris_uk2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a sony hc30 e handycam and not knowing what tapes to get i bought jvc ones as there wasnt any sony ones at the time the problem is i recorded some film transfered it to vhs then rewinded the dv tape and recorded some new stuff on the handycam only to find that halfway through watching wat i had just filmed the film that was on there previosly kept creeping back in several times and almost up to 1-2 seconds of film is it recomended that u dont rerecord or is there a problem with my camera or the tape?

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most likely cause is playback in camcorder or abrupt sop starting, it's good practice to allow 10 seconds after pressing record and allowing 10 seconds after in order to give the camera enough of a pre-roll on the timecode.

if you've been doing this then it may be a fault with your camcorders heads, tapes are reusable, up to a point, it could be just that the camera is getting the timecode fromthe previously reocrded fottage confused with your new timecode and so is not picking up where you left off.

does this porblem occour between or during takes?.

3. kris_uk2003

kris_uk2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this happend halfway through of about 30 minutes of continuous recording time there was no stoping or starting i would have been a little less worried if it did it at the beggining of the tape but it didnt

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds more like a head problem than a tape problem, sounds like quite sevre dropout, the cause of which is usually dirt, having the cam in LP mode or both together.

I'd try a tape head cleaner then do a test record.