1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini DV tape - good and bad?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Mr Pleasant, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm looking to buy some more tapes for my mini dv camcorder and was wondering if there are some types or brands to steer clear of. I plan to keep the raw footage on the tapes for years to come so don't want to buy something cheap only to find it is unreadable in a few years time if I need to restore something...

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Because of the relatively low Sales quantities, the cheapo manufacturers have largely stayed away from the DVC tape market. If you stick to the well known brands, JVC, TDK, Fuji, Maxell, etc. you can't really go wrong. Many of them come from the same factories anyway.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    I have also heard that most DV tapes are made by 1 company and then badged by the larger brands. I do not know which companys do this.
    One exception to this is Sony. They do make their own tape and I also believe they do not make them for others.

It is recommended that you try to keep to 1 maker of DV tapes as they leave a residue on the heads of the camcorder and differing residues can cause problems. So if you have used Sony tapes until now then you are best to stick with Sony (even though they do tend to be the most expensive :mad: ).
    When I bought my camcorder I was given 10 Sony DV tapes, so guess what I'm stuck buying now :rolleyes: . Well at least they have come down in price. Dixons were selling them for £15 each a few years ago :eek:

Mark.

4. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the advice. I've just ordered a pack of 5 Panasonic tapes from Dabs for a total of £13 inc VAT etc. These are the DVM60s which generally sell for about £20 for 3. Rang Panasonic and asked what the DVM60FEs are (Dabs Manufacturer's code) and the guy told me they are the French version, i.e. DVM60s for the French market (unless of course all the English dialogue I record comes up with French subtitles...!) Anyway, if a DVM60 is a DVM60 then I'll happily take an imported pack from Dabs at half the price.

5. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    dixons do em for £24 for 5 so not too bad at all.

6. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I think that Panasonic are one of the few companies that make the tapes then other companies rebadge them....Sony make their own too....

7. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    The one factory many brand things is true.

The ones I know are all the same are Panasonic, JVC, Fuji, Maxell, Canon and TDK. I was told this by Panasonic who also buy them in and brand them.

Having said that, unless you are 100% that the tapes you are using are all out of the same factory, don't mix (as others have said).

I currently pay £2.29 each for them and buy 10 at a time from www.pricebuster.org.uk but watch out as there shipping charges can be a bit high so either buy in bulk or they do have shops in Manchester, Harrow and London.

8. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i was always told pricebuster had closed down! thats great news, i'll be buying from there from now on.

personally i dont touch tdk tapes as one retailer said they were dreadful, and my experience with tdk products in the past has been shocking. awful awful company. usually buy panasonics, but have some sony's from when i've not had the choice. probably didn't do my camera much good :/ i'll try not use em from now on :)

9. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised that TDK are considered bad - they are, after all, the company most likely to be actually making the tape that gets branded by others! Panasonic, JVC etc. make electronics products, whereas TDK are primarily world experts in magnets and magnetic tapes.

Nevertheless, just like photographic film, it would be interesting to know who actually makes what...

10. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    well their CDRs are utter crap i know that first hand. i've had data corrupt itself on the disc a few days after its been burnt! no scratches, nothing. disc was working fine, then one day... dead. their burners aren't much cop either.

11. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    For tapes, try eBay.

Some surprisingly good deals.

I've used this guy:

http://***********/m11k

6 Panasonic, JVC, TDK or Sony tapes for £17.95 delivered.

Works out a little better than Pricebuster unless you want quite a few tapes. A little more than Dabs mentioned above (if you calc what 6 tapes would cost.) But they expect 3 to 4 weeks for stock.

Cheers
    Marc

12. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used, JVC, BASF and many TDK and never had a problem until I tried some from Sony and the data on the screen went berserk.

Martin

P.S. I have also used allsorts of tapes in my D8 cam and have never had a problem.