1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Dv or Digital 8

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Aitch, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Aitch

Aitch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having sold my Hi8, I am now looking to upgrade to either Sony DCRTRV355(Digital8) or JVC GR-DV700 (mini DV). I am undecided about these but at least the Sony is backwards compatible. Anybody have any opinions as to the better of the two for
    future-proofing?
    If I go for the JVC how easy is it to transfer my small collection of Hi8 tapes to the new format?
    Thanks,
    Aitch

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    With a collection of old Hi8 tapes it is always worth considering getting a camcorder that is backwards compatable. Otherwise you will need to borrow or own a Hi8 camcorder to play the origional tapes.
    DV is more future proof as it is not just a Sony format, but supported by most/all the camcorder makes. If Sony stop making D8 then that is the end of that format. Playing back D8 footage can only be done on a Sony D8 camcorder.
    If you go for DV then you will need to borrow/own another Digital8/Hi8 camcorder to play back your old tapes and then your new camcorder will need to have DV-in/AV-in enabled to be able to record from the other camcorder onto DV or you will need a PC analogue capture device to get the footage onto your PC to edit/convert.

Mark.

3. mab25

mab25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MarkE19,

Slightly off the subject of the original post ..

I have a digital 8 camcorder but may in future move to mini DV. Would I be able to capture my D8 video to my PC via firewire from a Digital 8 camcorder and then dump back to tape in its original avi format on a Mini DV camcorder tape via DV-In. Is there be something in the D8 video format that would not allow this ?

M.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    mab25,
    AFAIK D8 & DV footage is exactly the same (AVI) format, therefore you should have no problems moving footage from D8 to DV via a PC. If there are any differences then you can just reformat on the PC.

Mark.