Mini DV, Canon / Sony - And Purchasing options.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by conor, May 10, 2002.

1. conor

conor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a Mini DV camcorder in the next week, and have mainly focused my attention on the Sony DCR-PC110 and the Canon MVX1i. Each has a couple of unique and attractive features over the other, i.e. Sony has 0 lux and nightshot, but Canon has Optical Image Stabilizer and Progressive Photo System which has nearly persuaded me to choose the Canon. Before I make a final decision, and although the reviews are mostly very good, I would like to know if any of you have had positive or negative experiences with this Canon cam.

I am also considering purchasing this product in Germany (over the net - www.technikdirekt.de or www.mediacheckpoint.com for Sony). The prices are so much cheaper in Germany (an the UK) than in Ireland. For example, I can get the Canon for over 400 GBP (or about 650 Euro) cheaper in Germany than in Ireland!! With the exception of so-called Grey Imports and making sure that Warranty and Shipping Insurances and charges all apply, are there any other possible pit-falls that I should be aware of?

Kind Regards,
    Conor.

2. oost

oost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Conor,
    i bought a canon mvx1i beginning of this year in Mediamarkt Germany (no online selling of cc) for 1.850 €, this was +/- 350€ cheaper then most prices in Belgium.
    I must say this : the picture quality is really outstanding!! The weight and size is a minus and when shooting in darker places you 'll have to switch to "low light mode" (Sony will probably do better in this section) but as you already mentioned => the Optical Image Stabilizer and Progressive Photo System convinced me too.