1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini DV and Digital 8, Different Field Order Problem?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Kevo, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I've recently been coverting some holiday footage to DVD.

My stuff was in Mini DV format and I've been using TMPenc to render mpg files edited in ULead Video studio.
    The Field Order setting in TMP here is 'Bottom Field First (B)'.

My brother's stuff is in Digital 8 format and the rendered file came out all jerky (same settings as above), which means wrong field order!
    So now I have to render it all again (5 and a half hours!!).

I know there's a viewer in TMP where you can determine the correct Field Order, but I assumed it would be the same for digital 8 so I didn't bother to check. (will in future)

When I convert VHS stuff, I have to use Top Field first, A.

So how does this field order thing work?

Can it differ for the same format too (i.e mini DV from different cameras) or is one setting for one format?

This is isn't the first time that the dreaded field order has messed up my videos and I'm sure it'll come back to haunt me again :mad:

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Restream is your friend

It reorders an MPEG from top to bottom

do a search for restream

TOP in Google and Gigablast

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Field order is determined by the capture device. For DV capture by firewire this should be lower field first. Other than that it as I say it will depend on the capture device and will remain constant for that device. If you are viewing on a progressive monitor the field order problem will not show itself until you view the footage on a TV or TV monitor where you will get a jerky picture particularly evident in higher movement scenes.

As for going to DVD it doesn't really matter whether you render to MPEG-2 as upper or lower field first. What is important is that the source footage's original field order is identified correctly to the encoder when you set the settings.