Question Mini dock

eamon

I'm waiting for my new M1 to arrive and need some sort of dock to connect my existing usb devices. I've seen these on Amazon that look identical but the UK stock doesn't seem to mention the slot to install an extra SSD, does anyone know if they are actually the same or if it's just the imported one that has this facility? Thanks
Satechi Type-C Aluminum Stand & Hub - USB-C Data Port, Micro/SD Card Readers, USB 3.0 & Headphone Jack Port - Compatible with Mac Mini (2018 & Later) Amazon productUSB-C Hub with Hard Drive Enclosure, Hagibis Type-C Docking Station & Stand for Mac Mini with SATA, USB 3.0, SD/TF Card Reader and USB 2.0 Ports for MacBook Pro Air Laptop Amazon product

CamFire

Distinguished Member
No they're not the same. The Satechi is simply a USB hub with "converters" to SD, etc. The Hagibis one sports a SATA connection for compatible storage-drives such as HDD, SSHD or SSD.

Any SATA HDD or SSHD will do but the net performance through the hub will NOT test the SSD real performance so save your money there.

eamon

Thank you, I'm assuming the colour on all of them would be space grey. Do you think I'd be better with this type, probably the Hagibis from what you have detailed, or would you recommend a more generic dock?

CamFire

Distinguished Member
I do hear of some mismatches in the colour and for some people, this becomes a sore thumb. Yes - computers with accessories do get criticised in the same way as furniture. Folks like me :D

For the same reason, a generic dock is a no-no for the same features.

Flashy

If the Mac is M1 and the dock is space grey then there definitely will be a colour mismatch, given the M1 Mac minis are silver aluminium again.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Is this due to the influence of a Star Wars movie plot? Ben Solo (dark side) now saved and being on the Jedi side? Someone in Apple must be obsessed...

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom