1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Discs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sofaboy, Jun 11, 2002.

1. sofaboy

sofaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any pre recored mini disck's they wanna sell.... Not ones that you recorded, but propper mini discs...

any style of music :confused:

2. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is something I always wondered about, and it has put me of MD, at least for a while - I haven't seen one pre recorded MDs - you have to record your own all the time.

So why aren't there many?

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It is very simple really

reason 1 - more expensive than CD

reason 2 - if you have a top end MD deck a copy off CD would be better than a pre recorded

ATRAC comes in different versions and continually improves, So say pre recs in ATRAC3 and your deck is ATRAC4.5 therefore CD to MD at home would be better than pre recorded MD

4. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    When I got my first minDisc deck about 5 years ago I bought a pre-recorded copy of Marvin Gaye's DREAM OF A LIFETIME so I could go home and hit play first thing. After making a few MD's it was obvious I could make way better ones. Sony couldn't get other labels to issue MD's so they gave up on pre-recorded media. Best wishes!

5. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    I believe there are plenty of original minidiscs out there. I am a big fan of minidiscs since I discovered them about 5 years ago (mainly for in car use) and was disappointed that the format never really caught on cos it is the best format I have used. I have seen plenty of them for sale on eBay and other auction sites and they tend to sell for reasonable prices. I do not actually own a single original minidisc cos I listen to a lot of music at home mostly so I prefer to buy the CDs and copy them for car use.

6. applebwl

applebwl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    sofaboy

Got 2 origonal Sony Promo Minidiscs, both from when I was working in the states, Sony - Digital Sound and Sony - Music on the Move

Let me know if this interests you

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.. are you talking about "master" MDs? (is that *the* term?) - ones that are recorded from original source material?

Surely shouldn't they be better copies? If recorded with an professional, expensive, recorder from *original* uncompressed (or at least, high quality) material? There's got to be something which justifies their high price - (CD 8.99 vs MD 14.99?) - besides a nice sticky label like th ones found on the CD?

Personally - I would rather buy CDs and record them onto MD for on-the-move music - mainly because of the price difference.

-TF

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I have never tried a pre-rec MD but everyone says make your own - as it is a continually improving format