1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini disc/Cd player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Chorea, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Chorea

Chorea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can anyone help i'm looking for a good mindisc/cd player is there any recommendations??

Or is it best to buy seperates??

Cheers

2. applebwl

applebwl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Buy separates.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Buy separates,
    @Richer Sounds.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've got the Sony CMT-CP500MD which has tape/tuner/cd/md and have only been thrilled with it. I recently upgraded the speakers to some mission 771e's (2nd hand for 75squid) and this tightened up the bass performance significantly.

Admittedly for that sort of price you could probably find a seperates system though...

6. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why put such good speakers into such a crap(no offence) system..

Its like drinking vintage wine out of a disposable cup!!!!!!

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It all depends on your opinion, I picked up the speakers effectively unused for £75. I'm sure you'll agree that although the speakers that came with the system were OK, a £75 speaker upgrade is certainly justifiable.

The system itself is also of excellent quality compared to similarly priced seperates systems comprising a 35W power unit, tuner, CD, cassette and MD. It's also got optical and analogue inputs which I've connected my PC to.

In all the system suits me fine as a student due to its small size and stunning sound/looks.

As a final note, I challenge you to make a better MD recording from a CD using seperates - how can you possibly beat using the same internal circuitry? No interconnects or anything to degrade the sound!!

8. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a Sony 'Lifestyle' system in my bedroom and it's fine. Can't remember which one it is now. It's a separates system in that tape and MD are separate, although CD, Tuner and amp are integrated.

I also have a cyrus based separates system in my lounge. The MD recordings I get from the Sony system bear no comparison to those that I get from my Pioneer/Denon/Cyrus system.

Separating components by additional boxes and interconnects is a positive not a negative. Proximity will cause interference.

Sony's integrated systems do receive good reviews, but they are always qualified with 'for an integrated system'.

9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Tejpal

Adding quality speakers to mini/micro systems is the first step for many when getting into hifi in the real word, I did it with my Sony Separates with the addition of a set of Castle Cliftons. So it makes perfect sense from where Im standing.

BTW do everyone a favour and go & delete that £5 offer for a guy asking a reasonable query about his hifi cost. Keep up the fine posts dude. IMHO of course.

Edit : http://www.ifrance.com/evildonut/hifi/CJ/system_CJ_3.jpg

here is a pic of a mini system that has been given the separates treatment and sounds nothing like "Crappy", think Speakers, Speaker Stands, IC & Speaker cable upgrades. Still does a fantastic job everyday.

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have a Sony CMT-CP500MD system, it sounds really clear with solid bass. Most posters here would not have heard it, but would be speaking from a pro-separates viewpoint.
    Although I posted on this thread earlier suggesting separates from RS, this system is actually quite decent.
    However, the sound quality when using my Sony MDS-JB940 MD recorder makes recordings superior even when playing in car.
    Ultimately the most up to date mini/micro systems are a lot better than one would expect. A ramshackle combo of bargain bin separates is often just a mess of wires, boxes and mediocrity.

11. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fair enough,

you are all Initialled to your opinions

and so am i

BTW, i have changed the "ill give you £5 for it" post

It was out of order