Mini Cooper S turbo or supercharged

SteveTDCI

Established Member
Reaction score
does anyone on here own or haved owned the new mini cooper s, in either the turbo or supercharged version. Its another car on my list that i've suddenly decided I like. Any opinions good or bad welcome.

does anyone on here own or haved owned the new mini cooper s, in either the turbo or supercharged version. Its another car on my list that i've suddenly decided I like. Any opinions good or bad welcome.

Some quite interesting reviews on EVO.....I did think the Cooper S was a turbocharged as opposed to supercharged car though.....the only mention made even on the Mini site is of turbocharging.

A girl at work has the supercharger S and says its loads better then the newer turbo version which her mate has just brought. She's getting a 230bhp upgrade done soon also.

i've started to read some of the evo reviews, i want something more fun than an A3 diesel and 200bhp + in a mini sounds good. I want decent mpg and it looks like the mini will give around 32mpg which is only 8 less than the A3

From what I know of them from reading car magazines and forums (not actually driven one)...

The supercharged one is, as you know the previous model, with a Chrysler engine, the new one, the turbo, uses the same lump as the 207 GTI. The old one is often reported to have better build quality than the new one. I had heard that BMW actually over-engineered the first one and made very little money on it. Once it was established on the market and the successor came out, it was built more to a price.

I've also heard people say the previous model is slightly more fun on the handling too, with the newer one seeming more "grown up" somehow. Obviously having never driven to compare, I dont know how this pans out in reality.

The supercharged model has that whine, which is absent from the turbo model. Whether you like it is up to you but its obviously quite distinctive. The supercharged lump is likely to be slightly crisper responding at any given revs because of the nature of supercharged engines.

That said, the supercharged lump apparently has a very linear delivery, which can make it seem somewhat underwhelming according to some, and apparently the performance is not brilliant, particularly in 163 bhp form. Its also rather thirsty and will be liable to higher tax than the new turbo model...

The turbo model on the other hand, although lacking the whine of the supercharged model, is actually a technically better engine, which produces far superior emissions and fuel economy, 40 MPG is no great difficulty in the turbo whereas the SC model struggles to break 30 according to many owners. Not only that but the Peugeot turbo lump is very strong indeed as standard, and its rumoured that it kicks out a bit more than claimed power.

As a result the turbo model turns in far quicker acceleration figures, and in fact is allegedly not too far off the pace of the supercharged Cooper S Works model, which has a fair bit more power on paper.

Personally although not a fan of either, I personally prefer the looks of the older model. The new one does seem to "look" cheaper and not quite as polished as the older one. I've been less than impressed for example, with the huge silencer on the exhaust of the new one which looks like a cheap aftermarket stainless steel exhaust thats just been whacked on with little consideration for the design, and the car seems to look somewhat akward to me from some angles.

Supercharged one will lose less in depreciation and likely wont go wrong, so that probably makes up for the higher tax and lower MPG. Newer one will have warranty available, be faster out of the box, but perhaps not quite with the "character" of the older one, but will cost more to buy.

thats the other thing, the 207 is much cheaper than the new cooper s, i'm not too keen on the inside of the new cooper but hopefully will try and get to look at one at the weekend.

I had the old supercharger and can tell you the fuel consumption was terrifying!

My mate at work had the old model supercharger when we had fuel cards, now has the new turbo model and it is quicker and about 15 mpg better.

Get the LSD on the new car and it is a great little car.

Have you also thought of a used Audi S3?

You should be able to find a year old model for around your budget,and it's a lot quicker than the Minis.

not even considered the S3, I don't think its going to be much better than the A3 I have now, yes it might be quicker but the A3 has no real personality, I want something thats fun but at the same time reasonably cheap to run.

not even considered the S3, I don't think its going to be much better than the A3 I have now, yes it might be quicker but the A3 has no real personality, I want something thats fun but at the same time reasonably cheap to run.

It was just a thought...I've had the A3,and the 3.2 version as well...the S3 is a much faster and better focussed car than either,and may be worth a test drive at least...put another way,it's what I bought after an A4.

If you currently have an A3 diesel...give it a try,especially if yours isn't a Quattro.

I have had 2 Cooper S"s since they came out , 02/04 models , great drive but thirsty , prob max 25mpg .
If I was going to get another ( which I wont because of the cost ) I would plump for the Cooper D , not as fast but 55mpg minimum should be acheived. , together with the Mini drive.

Wait for a Fiat 500 Abarth Esse Esse next year! Must be one of the coolest cars ever to sit on tarmac!

nah...it's not a women's car...it's just super cool.

The 500 sport was a fab little car and I can only imagine how much the arbath ess ess must be, i don't care about it being a girls car either, the mini is probably just as much as a girls car as the 500.

They are both definitely girls cars. You will drive them with your spikey tony & guy haircut and your manbag firmly in toe.

HTHs. :D

on the supercharged versions they whine like mad all the time from the power steering pump can be really annoying.

great little cars with a fair amount of power. some of the models come with really nice interiors and a fairly decent sound system too. the burble from the exhaust on the older versions sounds rather good too! :thumbsup:

Nothing "girly" about the 2014 Mini Cooper Paceman S Turbo my friend. Quick, responsive on the cornering, and tough looking with the enlarged front grill and sloped back end with spoiler. The stripes on the hood finish it off nicely. If you haven't driven the S Turbo, you need to.

MINI Cooper Paceman S - Front.jpg

Holy shit, who dug up the dead? :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom