Mini Cooper S Electric

alebonau

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Picked up the Mini Cooper S Electric yesterday, in lovely chili red
:D

super impressed with the dealer, even though a demo, they still went to the trouble of detailing preparing the car so immaculately and with the full new car experience ! looks absolutely gorgeous in the metal !
IMG_3213.thumb.JPG.79ed9e03796d54bd45b07f7e64deb7ce.JPG

cooper S badging and union jack brake lights

IMG_3217D.thumb.JPG.d54022af7315f11d3ae18cb245f6ab5c.JPG
only giveaway its electric is the yellow plug symbol on the back and on the "fuel flap"

IMG_3216D.thumb.JPG.09fab3d0bfca83552cad9fca3327a2f8.JPG

absolutely love the mini yours interior which feels very sumptuous and luxurious
025A6872.thumb.JPG.08683cff4c1068f4705689e1f18ed71e.JPG

bit of driving last 24 hours and left it charged over night so was ready to go in the morning
:)

wife straight away says it sounds like the no 64 tram
just missing the ding ding

drove to work today for commute and it used exactly 20% of charge so easily with 2 days a week commuting and rest working for home rest can see will only be charging it every couple of weeks

absolutely enjoyed driving it around. really nice to be in a little car again.. there is something about driving little cars and yet the mini is somehow quite big inside. wife sat in rear seat and it will easily take full adults. the seat in the back unlike tesla is quite high off the ground so sit in it more chair like.

While my test drives were in the mini classic version of the electric, which was nice as it is but i have to say last day driving around in the "Mini Yours" version I have here, they have really done a wonderfull job in making it pretty special.

I also explored a bit of driving in the green plus most economical mode and green mode next down. and both are quite useable... the mini is really quite a quick car. can zip along swiftly and at no time did i feel it was underpowered or anything. also been driving around in the default brake regen mode. and in every day driving honestly no issue in using that
handling is so crisp and controlled. even in suburbia going through or around a roundabout can be fun
one thing i dont miss from previous car is their engine start stop they have. this is so seamless in starting and stopping. amazing it comes with adaptive cruise control ...worked perfectly in peak hour on the freeway boasting up and down from 100km/h this is something have to pay $5000 for on the polestar to get in an option pack.

love the big double panel pano sun roof as well. I think distinct advantage of this over the tesla or polestar approach is it can be opened as a conventional sun roof can.. and also has some nice pull across shade blinds...
looking forward

really enjoyed time in the car so far and so far very taken by it

Always look great in red. Have done since the start of the original.
Hopefully ordering our first EV today, not a Mini unfortunately.
congrats on your first EV purchase :) this is a first for me too..not only in mini but EV as well :)

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :love:

The Mini is hard to beat for the fun factor, you will be acting like a teenager again, zipping through the traffic. It seems we are all making the switch in one way or another, though I have been told it will be here before the end of the year rather than the September I was originally told.

I had a new Mini Cooper S back in 2010. Absolutely loved it, great car. It was a tight fit for 4 adults, and small boot, but hey! I also had the sunroof. Had to get rid of it three years later :(

Enjoy

View attachment 1699313
lovely cars .. better to have loved and lost than never loved at all :D

the electric one is same as the current petrol cooper S version... which is a tad bigger than one you had.. and we get a bigger sun roof as well for a full panoramic that still opens :) fits 2 adults in the front comfortably.. the back seats can fit two adults just fine too... but yes means moving the seats up front forward a bit to accomodate ...

boot is still smallish ...though has some good features where can align back seat vertical to accomodate a bit more and the boot floor is adjustable...

I’m had a PM back and forth with @alebonau regarding EVs, he got the Mini and I got an i4, I’m now a complete convert to electric and to anyone on the fence I say if you got regularly do lengthy journeys and can mount a home charging unit then electric is a no brainer because you save money, in some cases a huge amount and the performance on offer is WAY more accessible.

593AB804-8683-420F-8EE4-0E0AA10239B8.jpeg
C376BCAC-CF85-4112-A4C5-3327D98326AF.jpeg
FAE1C6EE-C1AB-489C-8E4B-A34F82B539D2.jpeg

Fun with no gears and linear torque ain’t it :D.
Totally, the power delivery is buttery smooth and so easy to modulate compared to a fossil fuelled motor with a gearbox.

I’m had a PM back and forth with @alebonau regarding EVs, he got the Mini and I got an i4, I’m now a complete convert to electric and to anyone on the fence I say if you got regularly do lengthy journeys and can mount a home charging unit then electric is a no brainer because you save money, in some cases a huge amount and the performance on offer is WAY more accessible.
picked up one helva car there in the i4 !

its a wonderful age...and these EVs are exciting things :)

Totally, the power delivery is buttery smooth and so easy to modulate compared to a fossil fuelled motor with a gearbox.

deceptively quick EVs are ...so smooth and without a fuss ! have to watch the speedo :D

How does that work? Is there a balance point whereby if you push down you accelerate and if you lift off it goes into full braking (or is it just regenerative braking on steroids)?

How does that work? Is there a balance point whereby if you push down you accelerate and if you lift off it goes into full braking (or is it just regenerative braking on steroids)?
Yes something like that, though on mine where it has three driving modes (ECO/Normal/Sport) each have slightly different strengths of regen, or that’s how it feels when driving in “B” mode.

Depending on how much throttle you lift off determines the amount of regen, also I don’t know if it’s unique to those cars equipped with radar cruise but if you don’t have it in “B” mode and are coasting towards the car in front the car actually brakes you down to their speed, the same thing will happen when entering a speed zone like entering a town where the limit is 30mph, when coasting towards this speed zone the car will brake itself down to within 5mph of this limit so 35mph before releasing the brake again.

Some of this new tech is brilliant IMO.

Last edited:
on the mini ..its something i wasnt sure about in my first demo, but realised how good it was in 2nd drive which was more extensive up in the hills around where i am. i now find i am basically not using the brake pedal in general driving... I tend to still be ready to jump on it in an emergency ! also if needed if there is a touch of creep or want to pull up to a hard stop to a point... the regen braking is very effective though...in driving its just another area where its all so smooth and seamless in use.

The MG we have has 3? stages of regenerative braking but not to the extent you can have a one pedal mode.

The MG we have has 3? stages of regenerative braking but not to the extent you can have a one pedal mode.
The Porsche/Audi setup is similar.

not sure on the MG on its stages of regen, but i do know it doesnt use regen when you use the adaptive cruise control, it wont use regen to control the speed but instead regular brakes. this instead is something the mini does using regen braking to control the adaptive cruise control. its really easy to see when regen is in action on the mini as will see the dial on the left instead of in the e-power range ...will drop to ready and then swing into charge with regen :)

1653142317864.png

regen is pretty impressive too in what can do to save battery power.. with the hills near me it uses ~20% battery to get to the top of the mountain and driving around up there... but coming down the mountain.. it uses .. nothing :D and then about another 5% to get home... this is the wonder of regen :) something very much appreciated with the little "mini" battery the mini comes with :D

That’s about right but it’s VERY variable by car. My 500 has just happily (and in control) gone down several 10%+ inclines at slow speeds without touching the brakes once. On mine there’s 3 modes. Normal is ICE normal. Range is one pedal and what I use all the time and has slightly less oomph. Sherpa is for charge level emergencies and limits to 50 with reduced acceleration, no climate or stereo and guides you to nearest charger.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom