Mini Amp for Ceiling Speaker

mrshinobi

Novice Member
Hi - I have moved into a house with a single ceiling speaker in the bathroom (looks like a Bowers and Wilkins CCM663SR - apparently a not bad speaker, and probably too good to ditch). I think it was originally connected to a Sonos amp - which is no longer there.

I'm looking for a small and cheap bluetooth amp to activate this speaker. I don't know much about amps, but I think I am looking for: a bluetooth amp, mono output (full frequency). For some reason, I can't seem to find anything. There are some amps by Fosi that look like they'd the job - but seem like they are designed for two speakers to be plugged into it (i.e. I would lose L or R if I just plugged the ceiling speaker into just one of those).

Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Why is it so hard to find a bluetooth amp for a single speaker?

Any thoughts very welcome (and thanks in advance)!!

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
That B&W is actually stereo CCM663SR - Bowers & Wilkins CustomID so takes both L & R from an amplifier; one to each tweeter and a combination to the woofer.

Certainly it'd be quieter with only one channel driven according to the spec sheet, but no reason not to do so if desired.

mrshinobi

Novice Member
That B&W is actually stereo CCM663SR - Bowers & Wilkins CustomID so takes both L & R from an amplifier; one to each tweeter and a combination to the woofer.

Certainly it'd be quieter with only one channel driven according to the spec sheet, but no reason not to do so if desired.
Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify (again, I apologies I don't know too much about this): a lot of the amps (e.g. see Fosi link below) have 2x2 holes for the speakers (i.e. 2 holes for each speaker). One pair of holes if labelled 'left' and other pair is labelled 'right'.

My concern is that if I plug my ceiling speaker into just one pair of holes (either left OR right), then I will only be getting part of the sound coming through (i.e. missing either left or right). So I figured I needed a 'mono' amp which would have just one pair of holes.

Have I misunderstood this? Given the B&W speaker is 'stereo', does that mitigate this problem?

Thanks again

(e.g. Amazon product)

dante01

Distinguished Member
As explainecd by Rodders53, the CCM663SR can be used as a stereo speaker and if wishing to use it as such then you'd connect both the left and the right speaker terminals onboard a stereo amp the pair of terminals on the speaker. There are two sets of terminals on the CCM663SR to facilitate this. You'd then set the switch on the speaker to STEREO as opposed to the SURROUND option:

by default 2022-06-01 at 14.26.20.png

You can effectively connect both the left and right speaker outputs from a stereo amp to this speaker.

They can also be used a standalone mono speakers by connecting just one set of cables and setting the switch to SURROUND mode.

I'd surmise that the previous occupant had the speaker setup as as a STEREO speaker with both left and right speaker output connected to it. hence why there's only one speaker in that room?

Here's the manual gor that speaker:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom