Minecraft - positive/negative - thoughts please!

Angela Paull

Novice Member
Reaction score
My 6 year old is obsessed with this game - from watching YouTube videos to creating worlds (we only let him play in Creative mode). Anyone else having the same level of interest from their kids? General feelings about positive/negative thoughts on the game appreciated

No problems with it at all, in moderation, just encourage them to do other things too.

Same here my just turned 8 year old is very interested in it creating new stuff and chatting about what he will be building next. My 6 year old has just asked for it to be put into his tablet I expect the same from him to.

Both my kids played it from the very beginning and still come back to it now, it’s digital lego for the modern age and so much more! They have both learnt so much from the community and are way ahead of most of their peers in terms of IT skills. Also, there are rumors that at some point it may be more widely incorporated into the school curriculum in the UK, so no harm in being familiar with it.

Both mine have played it and still play it as well as watching the Youtube stuff as well. See no issues with it and helps with their creative side. Also has some educational bits since learning about where minerals etc. come from and how theyare combined to make things. As above it is digital lego whose only limits is the imagination of the child.

My (just turned 7 yr old) daughter has declared that she wanted to play Roblox, having read a few bad things about that game and reading reviews on common sense media I told her she isn't old enough for Roblox but that she could try Minecraft, got her the base game and the Story Mode one as well. We have played loads of Terraria together so looking forward to playing MC with her.

Minecraft --> fortnite --> obsession = anger & schooling problems, unless you limit all tech interaction to a couple hours a day - that's YouTube, Gaming etc.

Its a constant battle.

I see nothing bad in it while it's in adequate amount. Interest is ok, obsession is bad. Try to redirect his attention to something else, spend time together, add some sports, buy him a pet

My daughter loves this. Have seen no downsides yet.

My 11 year old daughter plays MC perhaps an hour a night and 2 hours Sat/Sun. I would say this but she is a great daughter.....smart at school, many friends, and she is in every school club and sports team she possibly could be... she has a full life for an 11 year old and a few hours of MC is a relaxation within it.

MC allows her to build a zoo and show her dad with joy - she's just showing me the parrot section now. She also plays a little Roblox (much the same) but no other video games. I haven't seen any downside yet.
So in my humble view its a great toy; digital lego as someone said in this thread.

Minecraft --> fortnite --> obsession = anger & schooling problems, unless you limit all tech interaction to a couple hours a day - that's YouTube, Gaming etc.

Its a constant battle.
Both my girls played Minecraft and never had any interest in playing Fortnite or got obsessed or had anger issues and schooling problems............bit of a sweeping statement?

My eldest daughter has had full access to Minecraft since it came out, is just about to get a distinction in Games design at college and has a guaranteed place at one of the best UK Universities that offers the subject to get a degree in it. if they open in September :(

My 25 year old grew up with the internet and gaming, he's not been a problem and our youngest is doing fine too.

So yes, it's a sweeping statement.

Given our youngest is supposed to spend a school day on line, every day, limiting tech interaction to a couple of hours a day is laughable.

Bottom line, there isn't an issue with Minecraft.

Last edited:
Both my girls played Minecraft and never had any interest in playing Fortnite or got obsessed or had anger issues and schooling problems............bit of a sweeping statement?

Girls v boys.

Endex.

My 25 year old grew up with the internet and gaming, he's not been a problem

My son played it too :p I hate to say it, but yours seems to be the only family in this sub-forum with a problem with playing Minecraft.

Last edited:
OK mate, hope you're keeping on top of it👍

I got him off it, downside is his school friends sew all over it, and he feels punished for not being allowed to game.

One day he will understand, but for now he hates me.

I got him off it, downside is his school friends sew all over it, and he feels punished for not being allowed to game.

One day he will understand, but for now he hates me.
Can be hard being a parent, I remember being harsh with mine when I was a kid but looking back they were right all along👍

My youngest and teenager love Minecraft. They also play it rather than just watch.

Oh, I like it too and actually hired a server at the start of lockdown so they could build a world with their school friends.

Why the angry face BB3Lions ? Am I a bad person for suggesting that the issue may lie elsewhere? Even at first glance it seems your issue is with fortnite, not Minecraft.

My 6 year old son loves Roblox but we haven't tried Minecraft yet.
What's the consensus on Roblox?

My 6 year old son loves Roblox but we haven't tried Minecraft yet.
What's the consensus on Roblox?

My son started with Minecraft (offline) when he was 5-6, can't quite remember and moved to Roblox later and still it plays today. I prefer both over Fortnite and in general don't like him (10 years old) playing PvP games (a rant for another time).

Roblox is fine but it's not as "child safe" as the marketing may appear. It's online and the more popular games can have a lot of simultaneous players. Scamming is quite prolific but I see it as a good way to teach them to be wary about such things. Chat filters are usually decent but do monitor who they add to their friends list (applies to anything online really). The larger games have almost no customer support and my son has experienced data corruption on save games twice in a few months (lost days of progress) so keep that in mind.

At the end of the day, keep it all in moderation and monitored and it's fine.

Roblox is fine but it's not as "child safe" as the marketing may appear. It's online and the more popular games can have a lot of simultaneous players. Scamming is quite prolific but I see it as a good way to teach them to be wary about such things.

That reminds me: years ago I opened up a Roblox account for my two girls but they never got into it. In fact I forgot all about it until all of a sudden last year I kept getting emails informing me that there was a password reset request or some such activity on the account. Someone was obviously trying to hack into it. So as you suggest, it's perhaps not the safest platform out there.

That reminds me: years ago I opened up a Roblox account for my two girls but they never got into it. In fact I forgot all about it until all of a sudden last year I kept getting emails informing me that there was a password reset request or some such activity on the account. Someone was obviously trying to hack into it. So as you suggest, it's perhaps not the safest platform out there.

I don't think Roblox is any worse than other online games out there when it comes to hacking attempts. However, they do promote the "Child Safe" component more than others so that's where I would criticise them.

Fortnite on the other hand is a game I detest. The user interface in the shop is designed to suck your money. No confirmation on purchases. The refund option is limited to 3 in the account life time which wouldn't be required at all if they simply added a confirmation step. That would stifle their income though. It was banned for a long time our house and is only permitted on very restrictive terms now. VBucks and Robux have been banned as well.

This is coming from a parent who has been an avid PC gamer all of his life starting in primary school. Although there was no Internet back then :laugh:. Apple IIe gaming!

My 5yr old has started to fall in love with this (and me too). We just play creative mode and he mainly builds tall towers but we are working on building an entire neighbourhood together - it's great fun.

Definitely addictive but not in a bad way if limited to a degree but great for creativity. We started on the PS4 version and then moved to his Switch. Haven't got crossplay working yet and it seems a bit broken but will be great when we do.

Minecraft is great for kids and adults. My 12 year old son still plays it, there is engineering with redstone and sticky pistons and all sorts to it. We also play together couch co-op on the PS4 which can be very funny.

He also plays Roblox on his laptop which concerned me at first a couple of years ago but no dramas. He has zero interest in Fortnite but plays a 1st person shooter on Roblox.

The recent Minecraft Dungeons is also pretty good and different but a bit grindy in parts.

i think I’m more excited for the PS5 than he is lol

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom