Mindhunter (Netflix) Season 2

Kotatsu Neko

Apparently the second series will cover Wayne Williams. He was convinced of a series of child murders in Atlanta in the early 80s, but there's pretty weak evidence that he was guilty. He's always denied it strongly, but when he was caught, the killing stopped. It's an interesting case, and one covered extensively in a podcast called Atlanta Monster.

There are many serial killers active around this time in American history. I wonder if they'll touch on Donald Gaskins, Arthur Shawcross or the most famous of them all, the Zodiac Killer.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Looks a bit more focused this season, one big case.

Fingers crossed it's not another that gets the Netflix chop after 2 season's!!

Glenn01

Just noticed season 2 is up :clap:

MrGudz

Standard Member
Watched the first three episodes and I’m hooked again. A special mention has to be said about the soundtrack. Some superb choices.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Got through the first five last night pretty much without realising it, this show is so good!

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
we're looking to plough through the majority, if not all, of this over the weekend. It's been a long time coming but I'm sure watching it will fly by, just like the first season did :smashin:

Snafu

Watched this last night. Just amazing tv-series, plot, atmosphere, actors/actresses.... spot on.

There are some f'dup individuals living in our societies o_O

Kotatsu Neko

Watched this last night. Just amazing tv-series, plot, atmosphere, actors/actresses.... spot on.

There are some f'dup individuals living in our societies o_O
If you're interested in serial killers of this era (70s-80s) I'd recommend a couple of podcasts. One is called Monster and covers both the Atlanta Monster (in Mindhunter Series 2) and the Zodiac Killer, and its spin off podcast Insomniac which covers some of the lesser known but no less brutal killers. There's one called Pee Wee Gaskins who claims to killed 110 people...!

https://monster-podcast.com/
https://insomniacpodcast.com/

VisionMan

Just finished watching the last episode (ep9). I'm going to have to watch it again as there was just too much to take in, in one sitting.

On another note, does Jonathan Groff, who plays Holden Ford, just look and sound like a young Tom Cruise? Or is that just me?

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Didn't enjoy much of the first episode of the new season until the last ten or so minutes but the second episode is one of the best of the entire series. So much tension and suspense packed into a fairly short episode. There's also a little bit of dark humour towards the end.

Great sound design in this episode (S2 Ep2). Some examples:

When Tench is interviewing the victim in the sheriff's pickup truck Fincher slowly increases an ominous background sound that grows louder and more unnerving as the traumatised victim relives his nightmarish experience. Think it's the sound of a big train mixed with something else.

During the other interview with David Berkowitz, you can hear dogs barking in the background at various points throughout. The Son of Sam was infamous for claiming that a demon-possessed pooch ordered him to kill! When Holden reveals Berkowitz's narcissism and he is at pains to insist he isn't a nut you hear buzzer sounds in between the silences which are staples of Hollywood storytelling when depicting a character's inner psychosis and insanity.

The score when Bill is checking up on his family and searching for intruders are his wife carelessly left the door opened was unnerving. Tense scene full of dread.

One of my favourite Mindhunter episodes.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I've got 1.5 eps left of season 2 (bloody wife kept needing a wee, getting a drink, checking messages etc so it took 50 mins to watch the 1st 20 mins last night, then she fell asleep halfway through :mad::facepalm:)

Anyway, it's brilliant - but I miss the prison interviews from S1.

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
This show is absolutely brilliant and season 2 was just as good as the first. However, I did feel a little let down with
the ending. All of the build up to then find out that you don't actually find out was a little deflating
but overall it has been fantastic and compelling viewing.

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Didn't think S2 was as much to write home about compared to S1. A few good episodes throughout the season but on the whole it felt quite plodding and aimless at times (Anna Tov's relationship troubles; Tench's son subplot; and more). It is at its best when it focusses on interviewing the incarcerated and applying the knowledge they glean from their subjects to whichever case they're working on.

Felt unsatisfied with the ending of S2, particularly due to the fact that
Tench and Holden don't get another opportunity to confront Williams after the local police department arrests him without their blessing or knowledge. I get why they did it (sometimes politics gets in the way of good police work) but it fell a bit flat for me.

bjd

Have to agree about the whole Tov relationship - adds nothing and frustrating waste of time to watch when you know interesting things are happening elsewhere. Needless, vacuous filler.

ohh_danielson

Personally I am probably enjoying S2 more than S1!

I liked S1, thought it was good but I wouldn't say it blew me away. When I came online and read how much people loved it I was a little bit surprised. I felt S1 was good like I say but the story felt a bit aimless at times, and didn't feel like there was a lot of 'big' things happening.
S2 for me is a lot more direct and seems to have more purpose, I am really enjoying it. Only watched 3 or 4 episodes though, so still got a way to go but so far so good :)

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Personally I am probably enjoying S2 more than S1!

I liked S1, thought it was good but I wouldn't say it blew me away. When I came online and read how much people loved it I was a little bit surprised. I felt S1 was good like I say but the story felt a bit aimless at times, and didn't feel like there was a lot of 'big' things happening.
S2 for me is a lot more direct and seems to have more purpose, I am really enjoying it. Only watched 3 or 4 episodes though, so still got a way to go but so far so good :)
S2 has some of the best episodes but a fair share of the worst too. Episode 2 of S2 was amazing. It sort of drifts for half the season and only really tightens up in the final two episodes imo. Still good TV but I think they can do better with the rich pickings available to the writers, i.e. historical real-life crime stories from the eras covered per season, and with the characters themselves. Fluff storylines like Tov's this season are a waste of a good actor and a potentially interesting character.