minato and ntsc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pdgnews, Nov 14, 2001.

1. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone know if the Minato DVD player (sold in Tesco) can output NTSC material as either PAL60 or PAL50? My TV (cheap Tesco model) doesn't handle NTSC - and the manual is next to useless.

If the minato won't do it, then I guess it's the Cyberhome from Richer Sounds for me then (which converts NTSC to a juddery PAL50).

2. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the G1 will output Region 1 NTSC disks as PAL 60, PAL (50) or true NTSC.

There is even a specific key on the remote to select this!

3. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant! That's just what I need.

4. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, got the player. It works great - NTSC can be output as NTSC/PAL/PAL60/PAL60R (the latter is PAL 60 with the fields reversed). The only downside is that it doesn't send the widescreen signal over the SCART lead - which might put a few people off.

Oh, and NTSC to PAL is so jerky that it's practically unwatchable. NTSC to PAL60 is fine though.

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is it with electrical goods sold by Tesco.

The wharfedale 750/750s didn't support auto-widescreen switching. One of their tvs didn't either and now this one.