1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Milton Keynes television signal

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Ed Selley, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Dear All,
    As my location shows I've just moved to the outskirts of Milton Keynes. All is going well with one exception- what on earth is coming out of the standard aerial wall sockets? Connecting the standard RF lead to the telly will only locate News 24, BBC2 and Channel 5 (not the stuff of balenced viewing) Is this normal? Will a freeview box make any difference to this? or because it is attached to the same aerial, will I still receive the same three channels?
    Previous occupants had Sky (the dish and connecting cable for which are still installed incidentally) but as a first time buyer I simply can't afford the subscription charges currently so would like to know if there is a free option to cure this impasse. All suggestions greatfully received.
    Ed

2. MatC

MatC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you are getting is NTL's rather lousy cable service, thers a real basic version which needs no additional equipment to use.
    You should be able to get BBC1, BBC2, ITV, CH4, CH5, News 24 and QVC through it.
    It is however a subscription service, though the cost is minimal, about £2 a month if I remember correctly.
    You can also use the system for FM as well, so you get decent FM reception through it, although all the frequencies are changed.
    The picture quality through this is not too great though, and you can't plug a freeview box into it either!
    Hope this helps.

Mat

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    I suppose the next logical question is how do I ensure that I have subscribed to this rather tortuous method of getting my television? - Please tell me that I don't have to talk to NTL (I believe I'm more likely to get hold of Elvis through a seance than actually get the info I want from NTL). Or is it already in my (high) council tax payments? Ed

4. MatC

MatC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it's handled by NTL, so you'll have to ring them..
    The biggest problem is that their website does'nt seem to admit Milton Keynes exists!
    I'm not a subscriber myself anymore, I switched over to Sky Digital over a year ago, as the NTL service offered around this area are not very good. The whole system is analogue and dated from the time MK was built (Early 70's I believe)
    Milton Keynes is covered by Freeview,
    www.freeview.co.uk
    which might be an option to get cheapish digital tv, now that sky/bbc have pulled the "free to view" cards. You will need to get an aerial, as the signal is not passed through the NTL system.
    Richer Sounds have an offer on freeview boxes at the moment (If they have any in stock!)

Hope this helps

Mat

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Well I'm technically a Richer Group employer so getting hold of one of those natty little Thompson boxes won't be a problem. The only catch is the aerial- I'm busy paying off £1500 of re flooring at the mo so destitute doesn't come into it. The next question then I guess is if I were to get hold of a cardless Sky digital box (in laws have one having switched to plus) and connected it to the existing dish, will this work like the old ITV digital boxes after their network went off air? Or am I just clutching at straws? Ed

6. MatC

MatC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have an existing sky mini dish on the side of the house, then yes you can plug in a second hand box and recieve all the "free to view" channels, which includes the BBC. You won't be able to get ITV, CH4 or CH5, as these are encrypted and need a card from sky. You could get the basic subscription which is £12.50, P/M though there are slightly more expensive options.
    So in short, yes you can, but to get the most from it, you will need to pay sky money.

Mat.

PS. My Mum and Dad want a freeview box, do they actually exist at Richer Sounds? Their always out of stock!

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    The Thompsons (that is to say the decent ones) are thin on the ground currently- they seem to be very good so understandably have sold well. I'm told that more will be with the stores soon. If I find out anything more I'll PM you- the least I can do after you explained my unusual channel selection. Ed

8. MatC

MatC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great,

Many Thanks

Mat

9. miltonkeynes

miltonkeynes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news!

The analogue Milton Keynes cable tv franchise is currently undergoing detailed planning by Virgin Media, for a full scale HDTV and cable broadband launch by 2011 (next year).

To make sure you don't miss out on the fantastic range of services delivered over fibre optic cables, coming your way soon, register your postcode now at: cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk

10. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Is this a record??
    A new post in a thread started 7 years ago:eek:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,294
    And as it's about cable a thread that was in the wrong forum anyway.
    Logiciel

12. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Yeah - please mods feed this up to the recrod book -- but this discussion is still relevant i.e. cabled MK goes DSO in April 2011 - what are the cable suppliers VM/MKCouncil going to provide for free as per the original contract?

13. BertieMK

BertieMK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Howdy

So does anyone actually have any detail on VM coming to MK next year?

- When in the year, spring/summer/autumn?
    - Will it be phased or go live across the whole city on a given date?
    - What services? Just VMTV, or also Cable Broadband, if so at 50Mb or less?

I believe the reason MK has been a cable no-go-zone for x years is the poor quality of the NTL cable. Is Virgin laying it's own cable then, or delivering a compromised VM service using the old sub-standard cable?

Cheers
    Bert

14. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    The cable service to your house is VM. AFAIK although installed by I dont know who (Mercury?) years before NTL it is fibre optic to the street box and so you should be able to take out a normal VM package including TV, phone and high speed

This afaik already exists - what the last few posts are discussing is what will happen to the "free" TV obligation when analogue is switched off next year?

15. BertieMK

BertieMK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Fair do's I guess I'm taking this OT a bit. I'll start another topic sometime.

Bert

16. tylerjam1980

tylerjam1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone have the contact number for Virgin media. I have tried to get this service in my new property in Emerson Valley MK but Virgin just say that the service is not available in my area! Very frustrating!!

I would rather take this cheap service up until virgin goes fibre optic in the area

17. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    Er why do you need a contact number if you have just been in contact with them and found the sevice is not available:confused:

Whatever start with their Website

18. tylerjam1980

tylerjam1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I was asking as I KNOW FOR SURE that Virgin do supply the service in Milton Keynes.

The thinking behind it was that if someone could provide the number that shows on their bill it might put me through to a customer service team that actually knows what they are doing.

Happy now confused person?

As if I wouldn't have checked their website. Anyone would think that you were the only person onthis earth with Grey Matter. Rude people like you need to be pulled down a peg or two :hiya: