Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Milti-region hack for Sony DVP-CX985V

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by wydchr, Jun 7, 2005.

1. wydchr

wydchr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Anyone know of a hack for this muti-storage 400 disc DVD player Sony DVP-CX985V?
    Thanks in advance.

Dave.

2. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    No hack for Sony multichangers. And if this is the NTSC version, even if there was a multiregion mod, you still would not be able to play PAL discs, not because it isn`t multiregion, but because its NTSC only!

3. wydchr

wydchr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    OK, thanks for that.... next question is, anyone know how to convert PAL DVDs to NTSC ??

cheers,
    Dave.

4. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    just to clarify this, even if you modify a s Sony NTSC playback only machine to multiregion, if you insert a PAL disc, the player will refuse to read it, saying "incompatible disc" or "this typoe of disc cannot be played".

If you want to mod a machine to be "truly" all regions, you need a dual format PAL/NTSC model to start with(i.e European, Australian or Asian model).

Hope that helps:)

5. wydchr

wydchr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do you know of a multi-storage player that is dua NTSC/PAL fomat?
    I have already bought the Sony but maybe able to return it as I haven't opened the box yet.

cheers,
    David.

6. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Sony have not made any in europe for a few years now, the last one they made was the DVP-CX860 (2002). The NTSC issue applies mainly to Sony and some Panasonics, other brands such as most JVC and Pioneer models are actually PAL/NTSC even when stated as NTSC only. Best way to check if a machine you have is PAL compatible is to make a pal test disc from this link.

Pioneer made a multi-disc changer, although I don`t think they make it in the US any more, that being the DV-F727. There is no handset hack, but it can be modded via a firmware change. Other then this, thats about your lot really other then Sony:(

7. wydchr

wydchr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I needed the multi-disc changer for the USA although I'm a Brit. We have just bought a house in Florida and we intend to rent it out and I figured that if I had a multi-changer with on-screen menu facilitlies then I could lock the multi changer away in an owners closet and not worry that people might steal my DVS and we have a lot of PAL movies that we wanted to take over there.

I wonder if there is some other method of providing the same sort of service but not a DVD player, something like DivX movies from some sort of server?? Any advice would be most welcome... I guess this thread is moving away from its original content and maybe I should start again in another section?

cheers,
    Dave.