Mike Parker Mods

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Embarker, May 8, 2007.

1. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Another set of bacro mods here

Anyone over here taken the plunge, was trying to "justify" the port 3 dvi mod by Eisermann.

Dangerous Dave

2. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I have tried most mods available for barco units.

Mike does not produce a DVI input so if its DVI you require then that wont help you.

3. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Hi There,

I've been watching mikes progress over at Curts forums and it looks interesting...Not particularly cheap, but the results seem to be quite impressive.

Can't say i like the idea of my PJ being out for the best part of a month though, as you have to ship the boards over, they mod them and then ship them back....I wish you could buy pre-modded cards...or an exchange deposit basis maybe ???

I like the look of the clarity mod and that is cheap, bolts onto the dvd player or graphics card, however its a DIY one and i'm not sure about my solidering skills....Though i did modify my ultrabass for my buttkicker, that was just resistor swapping and i didn't do the surfacemount one to varistor as i feel i'm just too clumsy !

Must admit i'd like a simple upgrade path where i could buy the odd board or mod and work my way up...Blowing a £100ish here and there is a lot easier than £500ish in one go.

I also wonder on the resale values, i guess it may be posible to sell the modded boards, but with the CRT PJ market low, no one is gonna pay a premium unless they are already a CRT freak and that market is getting smaller.

Cya,
    Lee

4. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    i'd have a go at the gfx card mod but mine does not have the VGA out so that that out the window :thumbsdow

If it had the old 5x BNC on it as the original mod then i'd get a new card and go for it. I'd got back to port 5 then.

But then if I do get the DVI mod, then it's saves all the connectors.
    Currently dvi connected to vga, vga to 5 bnc, 5bnc 15mtr "snake" 5bnc, barco 5bnc to port 3. That 4 cables plus the bnc to bnc connectors at each end of the "snake" So that's 7 different contacts!!! instead of two.

I'm talking myself into the dvi mod :eek: :eek:

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sounds pretty standard to me (I'll bet it's not quite 75ohms) I always like to make one cable shorter too after tripping over it and pulling the connector off (makes sure you use a differnt style of connect too for added effect.

6. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Hi there,

On my pc i have a vga -> 5 bnc cable, about 10M into Port 5.
    On the Momitsu DVD player i have a DVI->VGA converter, VGA->VGA 10M cable and then a VGA->Barco Port 3 converter that i made from maplins bits....This route is less than ideal, but the PQ is pretty good and although bought as a back-up when the HTPC was dead, it just so works that it often gets used for watching things on a day to day non-critical way....Heck i even ran through colour calibrating it the other day !

Still interested in mods though, as i think the BG808s is the limit that my room set-up will take, so mods are the way to get better PQ for me.

Cya,
    Lee

7. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi conny

what would such a mod approximately cost?

starting point would be a quasi-new bg808s...

8. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Hi There,

That only gives you a liquid cooled BG808 though...Are the tubes higher res ?

Liquid coupling only reduces the halo effect doesn't it ? Or is there more to the Onyx...apart from a black case !

I've recently swapped the lenses on my BG808s for a set of colour filtered 145's which while adding colour filtering also sharpened up the optics and went some way to reducing halos on white text etc...not that they bother me much ?

The Mike Parker / Greg Eisman mods work on the existing electronics to improve the picture path and add new options....I mean the BG808s design is from the early 90's and as such there has been a lot of development in electronics....I'm still curious what happens if you add both sets of mods !

cya,
    Lee

9. mrking

mrking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually. All CRT's are liquid cooled. But not all are liquid coupled.
    I can assure that adding LC to an 808 is not just "only". It's a BIG deal.

You get everything a 1209 can do but not as high resolution and a little less sharp. But at 1280x720 or 1440x1080 I think you would have a hard time telling the difference.
    I'm quite positive that an LC conversion would do more for the PQ than a set of mods from either of these gentlemen...

ans yes that would be PT18 or P16 LC tubes.
    Plus you could a 1209 convergence board to the mix.

10. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ouch! 2K??? :eek: in which currency?

what kind of tubes would i get for my brandnew (approximately 350 hours) prisitine (10/10/10) tubes? refurbished ones or original new ones?

11. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Hi There,

The cheaper way is via ebay at the moment, a certain Mad person has some P16LNP07's in LC housings with 2x HD117 & 1 xHD114 lenses.

The green is a little on the shot side for my tastes and you'd have to sweet talk him for the c-elements, but its the cheaper route...Not that i've been tempted :cool:

Though personaly i don't know what this would do to the throw ratios etc and thats part of my problem....The screen is fixed and the PJ mount doesn't have much in the way of moveability....I actualy did the HD145 swap as it improved the situation as my PJ was *AGAINST* the back wall....i can now swap cables :eek:

It would give an LC PJ for a cheap price....The RGB amps would probably be a good swap in too.

cya,
    Lee

12. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Maybe one of these
    Not in stock but at 130 euros could be cheapest "upgrade"

A simple vga to port3 cable or vga to 5bnc and blu-ray/HD DVD on your CRT.

13. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    so in theory you connect this to port 3 on a barco 808 and this will work?

has anyone got one of these and tried it yet?

please let me know

thanks

14. kalW

kalW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    130 EUR for a the HDfury is pretty expensive.

I managed to get deal together with the manufacturer where they drop-ship them directly to you anywhere in the world in 2-4 days for $149 USD (approx 110 EUR) and your choice of one of 3 cables is included...

See here for full info: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5282

Kal