1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Loades, what a mentalist! (but very entertaining)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Setenza, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Mikes Loades "The Weapons That Made Britain", is possibly one of the best historical/documentary programs I've seen for a decade. For those who have missed it, Mr Loades is a military historian, but with a difference. He's not some old crumbly droning on about famous battles. He reconstructs weapons and tactics, then rounds up volunteers and chucks very sharp, pointed objects at them.

The program still pitches historical debate and information at the audience, but also engages at a more physical level. You get to see what it was really like to go head to head with another human armed with the weapons of time.

Take last Saturday episode about the shield. Mad Mike is talking about it's uses whilst holding a replica shield from the Middle Ages. What happens next? Some nut fires a long bow arrow at him. Yep! Mike just stands there like it was nothing.

This dude is a serious horeseman. He can fire an Ottoman bow whilst riding at full pelt. He also happily chucks spears at people.

Top program. I would urge people with a yen for historical debate and violence to check out the last episode next saturday. If only more TV could be so engaging and informative. Hope it gets a DVD release :thumbsup:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,153
    I’v been watching this series and found it very informative and at the same time entertaining.
    Mikes Loades is one of those individuals that has a passion for his specialty and is able to infuse it in the viewer.

I was surprised the first week with some of the tactics that were apparently used with the long sword.

I’ve also found it interesting on the methods of the manufacture of the weapons and armour.