Mike Ashley complains that Landlords won't reduce their rents!!!!

Post offices are an odd one as millions of people still use them yet they are going the way of the dodo

Most already have, being a state employee doesn’t save you in that respect.

Same as Royal Mail. In the time between me starting as a postie and the company being privatised 17/18 years later, the number of staff dropped by 40% despite there being 2 million more addresses to deliver to.

I like to send my paperwork to HMRC or other companies via recorded delivery but that's probably only a couple of times a year.

I don't send birthday or Christmas cards, but as usual, it's probably the elderly that rely on them

So HMV look to be next on the chopping block before 2019 has even started. I dont think they can be saved for a second time can they?

Game will probably survive another couple of years but I think next hen gaming is going to kill them off.

2019 I think we’ll see a lot of clothes retailers go under

To me, personally (and I dont wish any of the decent retailers gone) clothing would be the least acceptable as an internet-only business.

And yet it's one of the oldest - people have been buying clothes from catalogues since long before the internet.

To me, personally (and I dont wish any of the decent retailers gone) clothing would be the least acceptable as an internet-only business.

Totally agree but it's the way I think it will go. Return postage costs for the companies will be a lot less than shop rents

My daughter buys loads of clothing online. Most days there is a package going one way or the other.

I prefer to buy instore. Unless it is jeans, I hate shopping for jeans.

50210452_10155723273850810_5742802669857144832_n.jpg

When I get three of the same items in 3 sizes delivered to my home and the other two returned for free and don't have walk around a store in my yellow Y fronts looking for the OH to change these because I might loose a testicle if I wear for another 2 minutes suits me just fine.

Times are a changing and as you I wish no one to be out of a job, but..........

And people are spending their money on mobiles instead.

There are plenty of etailers (particularly the new online only ones) expressing concern about the rate of returns.

The problem it seems is that although fashion shoppers are switching over to online, they aren't changing the way they shop. They are still behaving like an afternoon at the shopping mall, going into seven shops, trying on ten items, maybe different sizes in each and then maybe buying one or two. In the online world this is translating into buy 20 items and return 19 of them.

I've seen reports where shoppers are buying £800 of goods a month but only keeping around £100 of them. The dedicated online stores are suffering because they are having to match the free returns that the 'bricks and mortar' stores can offer.

Cheers,

Nigel

Online purchases are required by law now to take returned and refund if you change your mind (except postage). High street do not have to, they are the ones that are chasing the online returns but not in all cases.

Online purchases are required by law now to take returned and refund if you change your mind (except postage). High street do not have to, they are the ones that are chasing the online returns but not in all cases.

B&M stores have had this policy since long before the internet, as have catalogues from long before it was mandatory.

Indeed there are many that would, it made sense, but they did not have to. I have in my time come across many that would not and many clothing xmas present returned for a different size (usually larger.....). It is a mixed bunch.

Now any internet purchase in the UK (EU??) must do this, I can see where £800 quids worth and returns must be a pain for the seller just to get one pair of whatever.

What is hurting some of the online-only fashion stores is that they must compete with the big names that have a high street presence. Many of these are able to provide free returns (a) by virtual of their size and distribution network (b) but also by allowing you to return to a physical store. So I imagine that their cost of return per item is a lot less than what it cost smaller online companies but those smaller online companies have to offer it to compete.

Cheers,

Nigel

^^^ there's a 23% returns average with online clothing, so they build that into their pricing
(heard that on the latest episode of Shark Tank, the American version of Dragons' Den)

When I get three of the same items in 3 sizes delivered to my home and the other two returned for free and don't have walk around a store in my yellow Y fronts looking for the OH to change these because I might loose a testicle if I wear for another 2 minutes suits me just fine.

I see your point but for me, clothes are something I'd rather go and see and try on there and then, get it done then forget about. Make sure my shoes don't clash etc :laugh:. Seriously though it's probably the one thing nowadays I would go to a high street for (though I'd have to travel a bit) as I prefer to see the different ranges in one go (though on the flipside the range of shops has greatly reduced). Department stores like Debenhams (at least the one local to me) are dying on their feet. I can see why; inside it's the same as it was 20 years ago. Not keeping up with the times, brands (or general maintenance) and the absence of other decent shops in the vicinity to make it worth people's while.

Totally agree but it's the way I think it will go. Return postage costs for the companies will be a lot less than shop rents

People of both sexes will always want to see and try on clothing (and for the females, accessories). Likelihood is it will be the growing trend of not only growing internet clothing sales but huge multi-retailer shopping centres all under one roof. I've been in a few and while it's not my cup of tea I can't deny the pull. If it's raining (not that would bother me) you go in one door (probably straight from the covered on-site parking so that takes weather out of the equation) and you've got food, bars, phones, gadgets, jewellery, sunglasses, clothes, homewares, travel agents, saucy underwear etc.

How long until augmented reality type gadgets can let you 'try on' clothes at home convincingly?

My "funny" rating was mainly for the yellow y-fronts btw. :laugh:

If you're to replicate a trying-on-clothes booth at home you'd need a few full-length smart mirrors for a start.

Surely.

Or some kind of camera and screen doohickey

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom