Migration Kit Or Memory Card?

Bit of advise needed here. I received my new Elite this morning so I'm in need of some advise about transferring saved games, gamertag etc..

Instead of waiting for a migration cable from MS could I simply move my gamertag and saved games to a memory card from my 20g HDD and then to my new 120g HDD. Would that be possible ? I've got no demos/trailers or arcade games or anything like that, that I'd want to transfer.

If you recover your gamertag while an empty HDD is attached would that then save your profile to the new HDD, or would you have to keep recovering it everytime the 360 is turned on?

And finally, I currently have 1200 MS points associated with my gamertag. Is that saved onto my HDD or is it part of my gamertag. Would those MS points still be there after I recover my gamertag.

Thanks in advance.

BBunter

Novice Member
Bit of advise needed here. I received my new Elite this morning so I'm in need of some advise about transferring saved games, gamertag etc..

Instead of waiting for a migration cable from MS could I simply move my gamertag and saved games to a memory card from my 20g HDD and then to my new 120g HDD. Would that be possible ? I've got no demos/trailers or arcade games or anything like that, that I'd want to transfer.

If you recover your gamertag while an empty HDD is attached would that then save your profile to the new HDD, or would you have to keep recovering it everytime the 360 is turned on?

And finally, I currently have 1200 MS points associated with my gamertag. Is that saved onto my HDD or is it part of my gamertag. Would those MS points still be there after I recover my gamertag.

Thanks in advance.

They recommend you use a memory card but I recovered the gamertag as I didnt have one at the time....the MS points are linked to the account so will also move to you new console.

If you have a memory card use that to move the data...quick and easy.

BB

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Definately the transfer kit, look for the "Migration kit bike" thread to get it quicker, kits from MS can take months to arrive.

the problems you'll get with a memory unit is that some games will not allow you to move / copy the save game, you'll also have to have your profile on the MU while you do it which will occupy a bit of the space (depends how big a card you get) you'll need to be signed in to copy them and the 360 will only let the account that created the saves change their location a lot of the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom