Migrating from one Synology NAS to another

Keiron

I have a DS 410j NAS. Works like a charm but is a tad slow with some activities (like the DS Audio app).

I am thinking of upgrading to a higher spec, more recent model. However, I am put off by the thought of reliving the nightmare time I had setting this one up. It took me months, with a lot of helpful support from this form, for which I am eternally grateful!

So my simple question is: Is there any easy way to upgrade or would I have to go through the rigmarole of all that port forwarding, DDNS this and that, shared folders, mapping, setting up user accounts etc etc.? Can I just not copy all the settings from my existing NAS, swap over the hard drives to the new one, and upload all the settings from a USB?

(And if not, why don't they implement something that makes it that easy!)

Keiron

Thanks for this. It suggests that I CAN achieve what I want by backing up the configuration.

The instructions you linked to relate to an older version of DSM but clicking around in the new version I can see a similar feature.

Sorry to labour the point, but will it really mean I can migrate EVERYTHING and I don't need to set up anything like port forwarding and configuring DNS servers etc. (which I where I really get in a mess)?

bubblegum57

Recently, I fitted larger hard drives, I restored a previous config file, It seem to remember my dns details, & most other things, I had to create the volumes, but I didn't want JBOD I wanted 2 separate volumes. I then copied my movies & other docs from usb drives, where I had backed them up.

I can't really remember what it missed, I had to install some apps, but I didn't know about the link I sent you.

Keiron

Thanks. That's really reassuring.

Can I ask for your recommendations on what to upgrade to? My DS410j only has 128mb RAM and an 800mhz CPU. It really struggles with my 5TB of data. The apps in effect don't work, they are so slow browsing the libraries.

Would the DS414 be a logical upgrade? I'd hate to go to the effort and expense only to find I'm still suffering the same frustrations with speed issues.

bubblegum57

I don't think I'm the best person to answer you. I just have a DS212j. My apps seem to run ok, copying over my network is not great.
The Asustor 304 is a similar price, but has better specs. Hopefully someone with more experience will give some more advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom