• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Migraine CAT5E/6

Member 213491

Established Member
Just moved into our new warehouse in city centre oxford... We need to put new cabling as we are running IP CCTV all over. With 3com unified switches and Cisco uc500. I was advised to just get patch cables.. but i was thinking of getting a reel and terminating the cables my self.. and one more thing should i go for CAT 5e or 6? also whos the best seller... i know i need tyco/amp connectors but cable?

Mad Mr H

Prominent Member
Hi,

Check the spec of the system that should tell you cat5e or cat6.

Cat6 will carry a higher bandwidth so is more future proof

CHECK if you need screened or not cable (Thats another option)

In commercial buildings it is sometimes required for "LSF" Low Smoke & Fume cable , Often called LSF0H - low smoke & fume zero halogen.

You would usually run from "Boxes of cat5/6 cable" they come in 305m per box in an easy dispense system.

You should run to MORE positions than you require, the cable infrastructure is cheap to run in ONCE, additions always add larger figures, so run to more points than you need.

Just check - CCTV is NOT my real area, does each point (Camera) run back to a main rack or do they daisey chain?

IF the cables run back to a main rack then usually you would terminate them ALL on a patch bay, and that is where you would use "Patch cables"

I will PM you contact details for cat style cables and patch leads. I order these in 1000's of meters and 100's of leads :thumbsup:.

Andy H.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom