MIght sound bonkers.. but how about drilling holes in my HD box?

Jules

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Tomson HD box is making a right old racket. I've put in a quiet Samsung HD but it's the case fan at the side that insists in revving up! I've replaced the case fan for a quiter variety and even tried a small resistor cable to slow it down... but still it's very noisy.

So I thought about drilling some holes in the top of the case to let some warm air out. That way I might be able to use a bigger resistor cable to really slow the fan, or maybe even run it without a fan (though that might be asking fort trouble). Would I be wasting my time?

Also, is the HD fan at the bottom really necessary? How can it draw in any cool air when it's 2mm from the shelf.

Ideally, I'd like to run it without any fans at all.
If I can't shut it up, I will be getting rid of it and going back to my Topfield Freeview PVR.

Anybody managed to shut up their Tomson HD box?
How much quieter are the Pace and Samsung boxes?

My Tomson HD box is making a right old racket. I've put in a quiet Samsung HD but it's the case fan at the side that insists in revving up! I've replaced the case fan for a quiter variety and even tried a small resistor cable to slow it down... but still it's very noisy.

So I thought about drilling some holes in the top of the case to let some warm air out. That way I might be able to use a bigger resistor cable to really slow the fan, or maybe even run it without a fan (though that might be asking fort trouble). Would I be wasting my time?

Also, is the HD fan at the bottom really necessary? How can it draw in any cool air when it's 2mm from the shelf.

If I can't shut it up, I will be getting rid of it and going back to my Topfield Freeview PVR.

Wouldn't it be easier just to remove the cover?

Or replace the fan?

Where have you got this Thomson? Sounds to me like it's overheating. Mine is on an open shelf with plenty of space. It's raised up on black doorstops to get good airflow all round. I suppose the fans are working OK, but I don't hear them.

Maybe try moving it?

Or replace the fan?
The fans have already been replaced. It's the box driving them at full speed.
Besides, the side fan has to be rediculously small to fit (I think it's 40mm) so finding a silent one is impossible. The one I have is quieter than the original, it's just the box gets hot (dodgy power supply) and drives the fans at full speed.

Where have you got this Thomson? Sounds to me like it's overheating. Mine is on an open shelf with plenty of space. It's raised up on black doorstops to get good airflow all round. I suppose the fans are working OK, but I don't hear them.

Maybe try moving it?
It's on the top of my cabinet and has free space all around it. It is not enclosed in any way whatsoever.

The fans have already been replaced. It's the box driving them at full speed.
Besides, the side fan has to be rediculously small to fit (I think it's 40mm) so finding a silent one is impossible. The one I have is quieter than the original, it's just the box gets hot (dodgy power supply) and drives the fans at full speed.

Jules - try these guys:

Quiet PC UK - Quiet Computer Fans for a Virtually Silent PC

The Noctua-s are awesome, but they don't come down as low as 40mm if that is what it is. Failing that, they do have some at 14dB which is very quiet. If that's still too noisy, you can use either the PWM controller or the resistor cables available for the right voltage here:

Quiet PC UK - Quiet Fan Accessories from Zalman and Acousti Products

which will act to cut down the speed a little more. Failing that, they also sell rubber mounting and acoustic foam.

I've used quietpc before in the past, and they're very good.

One thing aside - you were the guy I was asking about the AVC-A1HDA dealer. I'm back in the country now, and finally ready to buy - shopping around for quotes. Any chance you've changed your mind and will let me know your super dealer?

you tryed the replacement psu?,upgraded mine on my old tomson box and it made it alot quieter.

I had my PSU replaced by Michael @ Digifix in Buxton. Since then can't even here the fan on start up or at anytime. Even if i put my ear to the box you can't hear it spining.

Im beginning to think there isn't one in there :D

Don't drill holes in the top, you might actually make things worse. Like PCs they are designed so that air flows where it is most needed, by adding air holes to the top, you may find that the air gets pulled in through those and not through the front and so avoids most components. Better quality fans etc... are the best way to go along with making sure it is placed in coolest point you can put it. If you have laminate flooring, the floor would be a good place and out of direct sunlight.

I was thinking of doing the same with my Sky+ box, but I'm moving it to a cupboard in the near future so I won't see it never mind hear it.

I did think it is a good idea, but take on board what Espada says.

I was going to go a step further in silencing and cooling the box:

1. Drill the top holes (their indented for you :))
2. Mod the fan to make it temperature controlled
3. Cool the hard drive more effectively and minimise it's vibration by squeezing in one of these.
4. Stripping down the entire box and putting it into another enclosure altogether.

Good luck!

If it's just vibration bothering you, stick Blu-Tack along the side of the chassis on which the fan is mounted. That will dampen the vibration.

Try placing the box on top of 4 large rubber pencil erasers such as you can buy at WHSmith etc

On no account remove the fan under the hard drive

Ensure box has space all around, especially at least one inch underneath to allow for air circulation

Argghh stuff it! Might as well buy a new box.... or at least tell Sky it's knackered so as to get Samsung or Pace replacement.
It just seams that with 2 fans and a dodgy PSU this box is destined to make a racket without further considerable expense and time.

I can't be bothered now, so it's a new box or bye bye Sky.
How come my 3 year old Topfield PVR can run silently without any fans?

Last edited:
J
One thing aside - you were the guy I was asking about the AVC-A1HDA dealer. I'm back in the country now, and finally ready to buy - shopping around for quotes. Any chance you've changed your mind and will let me know your super dealer?
I guess I got very lucky just before the credit crunch really hit. I paid nearly £2K less than they are going for now.
I'd be gob smacked if my dealer could get anywhere near the price I paid now, so there's little point naming them.

Thanks for the advice on fans. I already use Noctua fans in my PC and they are indeed awsome... just a shame they don't make a 40mm one.
I also tried the so called quiet 40mm fan from quietPC, but although quieter than the original it's just not the solution to the problem.

Nope, the Tomson HD box is a pile of poo! Very poor quality components.

I note several posts suggesting Samsung boxes

Can I gently say that they still run the old EPG and no one yet knows what sort of problems may emerge when they update to the new faulty software

It may be a good idea to hold off until the update reveals any nasties

Good ventilation is the key thing.

The air is drawn in through the bottom of the box (not brilliant) and the three rails that the box sits on prevent air access from three of the four sides (absurd).

Raise the box about 2cm to fix this. One of the best ways is to cut two squash balls in half and use the four hemispheres as "feet". This has the added advantage of dampening down any unwanted vibrations.

I find that this modification is barely visible. If anything my HD box now more closely matches all the other pieces of my AV kit (all of which all have four feet).

As a result of this (and sitting on an open shelf out of the sun) I find that my early Thomson box runs quite cool - and I hardly ever hear the fan.

Regards

You can also run the hard drive externally in a caddy. This will keed the box super cool with better air flow for the cpu as well as reducing the psu's work load.

Air flow needs to be considered . . try adapting pc watercooling . .

OR

Put box in a seperate room and use a magic eye / long hdmi lead . . not bonkers as it would work fine .

Raise the box about 2cm to fix this. One of the best ways is to cut two squash balls in half and use the four hemispheres as "feet". This has the added advantage of dampening down any unwanted vibrations.

I find that this modification is barely visible.

I can certainly vouch for this. I have an old Thomson box. Installed in March 2007. It made a right old racket initially, and you could hear it in the next room (honestly). I put it on squash balls as described above. Now it's virtually silent. So much so that I have to visually check I havn't left it switched on at the end of the day. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom