1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

might have made a boo boo!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pyroxene, Jun 28, 2005.

1. pyroxene

pyroxene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This query is for peace of mind really - or not as the case may be...

I purchased an electric screen recently 6ft wide 1:1 aspect ratio i.e. square. With the huge renovation that i am doing this is one area where i did not do much research. The screen is mounted and all done. It is in a room which is 25ft x 12ft. Firstly, i'm looking at the screen when pulled down (no picture as projector not purchased yet) and it' kinda feels small. I thought 6ft would be huge! Is anyone else using this size screen in a similar sized room? Secondly, the aspect ratio. I was told that is it best to go for a 1:1 as it gies you the most flexibility for varied uses, PS2, movies etc. However, as i am now reading various articles etc..(all be it post the event), it seems most people gor a 16:9 or 4:3 screen... Have i cocked up?

Thanks for some honest replies...

2. BeStu

BeStu
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think your screen will be too small. Most people make the mistake of buying the biggest screen available, how often do you go to the cinema and choose a seat in the front row? I have a 6 foot wide screen in a room smaller than yours and sometimes its really too big, the extremes of the screen are on the edges of your peripheral vision, i.e. you see them but they tend to distract. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    To be honest mate I think you would appreciate a bigger screen in a room that size and if you do go for a bigger one then 16:9 is obviously better for movie watching. If I were you I would wait until you've got your pj and lived with it for a while before changing anything though unless your dealer is willing to take the screen back in exchange for a bigger one.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Where will your projector be? If you plan to have it 20+ ft away from the screen it may struggle to produce an image that small.

Where will you be sitting in relation the the screen? Usual advice is to sit no closer than 1.5 times the screen width away. Again if you are sitting more an 20 ft away you are getting into more than 3x screen width territory and it may look a bit small. 2x screen width away is often optimal.

There are disavdantages of a big screen however. The bigger the screen the less bright the image will be 'cause the light from the bulb is spread over bigger area.

As for aspect ratio, it's true you will have flexibility but do you fancy fiddling around with the zoom etc each time you watch films with different AR's? It's also good to have a black border around the screen to increase perceived contrast ratio. However the majority of films are in 2.35:1 hence a 16:9 screen, though the universal standard, isn't ideal for 2.35:1 films.

Sorry for the ramble...PJ :)

5. The_Munter

The_Munter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sitting distance = twice the width of the screen sounds right to me - I have a pull up 6' road warrior from draper and sit 9' away (14 foot square living room) and it's a bit on the close side (just a bit mind!)

I think the THX optimum angle is 30 degree angle too so that may be of some help...?!

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    It doesn't sound too small to me. I use 72 inch wide 16:9 in a bigger room. Viewing distance is important, try 3-5x the screen height as a good rule.

7. pyroxene

pyroxene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys...i know alot to do is personal preference...I think, i'll know more once i have finshed and started to use the gear. I don;t have much of a choice now as it is mounted and the ceiling is done. My gut feeling is i should have gone for a larger screen with a widescreen aspect...lets see what happens :-(

I appreciate everyone's comments...