Might be given a sky HD box. Subscription info

Alexg

Standard Member
A friend of mines dad works for a removal company, at a house recently the oldish guy apartantly handed him this "old satellite box" and asked if he wanted it, being that me and my friend are into satellite stuff he took it home, gave it to my mate who instantly realised it was sky hd box, but seeing as he hasnt got a HD tv I might try to perswade him to let me have it ;)

We currently have a sky subscription on the normal package, (everything apart from movies and sports) will sky let me change this to a HD subscription without them supplying the box iteself? whats the total price per month for the HD subscription without sports and movies, will my current card work in it straight away but just not allow HD channels? can you get any free HD channels using the standard card.

Thanks very much in advance.

kbj242

Alex - you'll need to phone Sky as the card will need to be paired to the box.

Sky HD subs are £10 per month on top of any other subscriptions.

You'll get the normal HD channels - Discovery, Nat Geo, History, Sky1, and Sky Arts....as well as the BBC HD channel which is free and not reliant on a Sky subscription of any kind.

Sky shouldn't have any problems with the "ways and means" of how you adquired your HD box....its your £10 subs they're after !!

HTH.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
We currently have a sky subscription on the normal package, (everything apart from movies and sports) will sky let me change this to a HD subscription without them supplying the box iteself? whats the total price per month for the HD subscription without sports and movies, will my current card work in it straight away but just not allow HD channels? can you get any free HD channels using the standard card.

You can take out a Sky HD subscription without Sky providing the Sky HD box - it'll cost you £10pm on top of your current subscription. Though, seeing as you don't subscribe to either movies or sports whether it would be worth it or not is questionable. You'll be able to receive Sky One HD, Sky Arts HD, National Geographic HD, History Channel HD and Discovery HD as part of the subscription.

You will receive BBC HD channel whether you subscribe to Sky HD or not.

Your current card will work in it straight away, but to use the Sky+ functionality of the box you will need to contact Sky to pair the card with the box. You do not have to subscribe to Sky HD to be able to use the Sky+ features (and to receive Sky Anytime).

If you currently only have a standard Sky box you probably only have a single cable from sat dish to Sky box - to make full use of Sky+ functionality (being able to record one channel while watching another, or to record two channels simultaneously) you will need a second cable connecting dish to box. It will work in a limited fashion with a single LNB and cable (can still pause live TV and record what you are watching), but it is a pain.

Alexg

Standard Member
Thanks for replys, so for now I can put my standard card in, not do anything and watch normal sky? will it upscale?

So if I want HD channels & recording I have to pay an extra £20 a month? so £44?!

I've got a quad LNB on my dish, I put it on there, I've got 3 boxes in 3 different rooms.

Thanks again

Ailegs

Your card will not work until your card and box have been paired.

This can be sorted in one call. ( you will also have to ask that they supply the + service at no extra cost)

If you want to upgrade to HD for the channels that are available in HD which you already subscribe, this would be an extra £10 pm and would need to be requested in the call above.

Alexg

Standard Member
Oh so sky + now isn't an extra £10/month ontop of your subscription?

So for no extra money, for now, I can use the sky hd box as a sky+ box without paying anything?

Thanks.

.Griff.

Oh so sky + now isn't an extra £10/month ontop of your subscription?

Not anymore.

So for no extra money, for now, I can use the sky hd box as a sky+ box without paying anything?

Yes but you'll obviously still need to call Sky to get the card paired and the Sky+ aspect activated.

Thanks.

As above.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom