Might be getting an EV.

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by sraper, Apr 26, 2018.

1. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Booked a test drive for a Nissan Leaf on Saturday.

Been considering an EV for somethime now, would love a Tesla but can't afford/justify the current models and can't wait for the model 3!

The question now is if i do go for a leaf do i buy the latest model - probably on finance, go for 2017 30kW model or go for the older 24 kW model.

Assuming I go for the Tekna that makes the prices around 28k (latest) 20k (30kW) or 12k (24kW).

Normal daily mileage varies from 25miles to 70miles.

Based on this i am a little worried that the 24kW model might be pushing it during the winter especially as the battery will have less capacity as it is older (probably 3to4years).

Is there a better car than the leaf to consider?

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,985
    Both the Ioniq and Zoe have better range. As a 24kW Leaf owner (2017) I would be twitchy if I regularly did 70 miles a day in winter, definitely consider at least 30kW.

3. milesperhour

milesperhour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    24kWh in winter is a 50-60 mile car, 30kWh minimum for the 70 miles in winter.
    I drove the 40kWh yesterday and got 135 miles on a single charge, with 10% remaining. Motorway driving on M65 & M6, where there's loads of 50mph zones and heavy traffic. In winter, on motorway, the 40kWh leaf only got 100 miles to a charge.

4. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Thankfully at the moment that is one day a week. As this would be a second car then worse case I would use the other car (Volvo XC90.

How do prices compare? TBH at the moment 20k is close to the max i would pay. I have seen a couple of late 2017 30kW Teknas for sale with less than a 1000 miles on them for this price!

5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,985
  6. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
  7. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Thats rather overpriced its a 41kw car but with a leased battery, if you are prepared to wait for delivery you can get a brand new built to order car with an owned battery (£5600 Extra) for about the same price as this ex demo.

A lot of the dealers know that the 5 month waiting list is getting people to pay over the odds for demo cars

But with the new (Well slightly tweaked) 110 motor due out in a few months smart money would be on waiting for that as even if not much of an upgrade it still a newer version when it comes to sales values.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    There are a couple of things at play here in the Ioniq vs. Leaf question:

1: Hyundai rate their battery at 28kWh, and it is limited to that in software. The belief amongst reviewers seems to be a true capacity more in the low 30s. It's done so as to headline the usable capacity, and allow for some degradation BEFORE the true capacity falls below this figure. Whereas the Leaf (for example) headlines the theoretical capacity, but in fact has less than this stated capacity actually usable.
    2: Nissan do not have temperature management in the new Leaf (and I'm assuming, nor the old ones either). Hyundai do. Temperature management improves both range and performance in extreme conditions.

There are tests out there where in cold weather, an Ioniq will beat a new Leaf on a long trip because you actually spend less time stopped and charging. This is moot for your stated purpose, though. I'd be totally confident in doing anything up to 100 miles with ease (and probably a little more) on any day in our recent winter, and far more in warmer weather.

Assuming you will need to pay for (some of) the power you use, including at home, it may be useful to know that the Ioniq is (I think) the most efficient EV as well. That accounts for the longer range, but also means it costs less to run.

I recommend a look at the Hyundai Ioniq EV (alongside anything else). A brand new one is £24150 here: IONIQ ELECTRIC PREMIUM ELECTRIC (88KW / 120 PS) 5 DOOR AUTO - Car finder or a little more for the leather, radar, etc.. model IONIQ ELECTRIC PREMIUM SE ELECTRIC (88KW / 120 PS) 5 DOOR AUTO - Car finder and there may be some used ones beginning to appear. 5 year warranty, 8 on the battery........

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  9. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    I was wondering this about quoted battery sizes. Leaf fits the bill as a small runabout and dealer is just within walking distance of our house.

The ioniq does seem the more "grown-up" car and looks nicer.

Probably will be paying for most of the electricity unless can find free points when shopping. Thankfully already have economy 7 and even 3phase. I notice PodPoint do a nice rather expensive 3phase 22kw domestic charger.

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,985
    The Leaf is a fantastic small family hatch back. We only got it for Mrs IG's daily commute but it is now our car of choice around Oxfordshire. The big bus is now relegated for tow tug duties and when the Leaf is stuck at Mrs IGs work.

11. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    3 Phase wont help you with either the leaf or the ioniq I am afraid as both only have onboard single phase 32amp (7kw) chargers

The only 3 phase option out there is the Zoe which can draw 32amp 3 phase (22kw) or the 94ah BMW i3 which is 16amp 3 phase (11kw).. Or the Teslas (Which Vary from car to car)

I use a 22kw box with my (43kw capable) Zoe a lot (Because its free and I am tight). Its a great charging option as it does not throttle back like the rapid chargers do, it delivers a solid 22kwh from empty right up to 97% where it slows down... Its a shame Nissan and Hyundai didnt implement 3 phase charging, but a suppose single phase home supplies were more prevalent in the initial target markets unlike Renault with the Zoe where France etc have a high proportion of 3 phase to the home

Re Home charging costs, we have found it works out less than you think.. Our 41kw battery we budgeted on it costing £2.50 a night to charge 41kw @ 5p a kw Eco 7 + Charging losses. But have found we rarely come home with a battery less than half full and in reality its only costing about £1 a night.

Compared to our old 19kwh BMW i3, which not only was almost always empty when we got home and needed a quick peak rate 12p a kw topup in case we went out again, and was costing us about £2.20 a day on average.

So getting the bigger battery car not only made longer trips easier it reduced our charging costs as we have more option now to use free chargers away from home.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  12. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Went for the test drive yesterday in a brand new Tekna. Lovely car. Was very impressed. Shame it only had manual seats. So used to cars with electric seats and memory!
    Coming out of a new model XC90 was a bit like a trip back in time though - all these little knobs and switches everywhere[emoji16]
    Problem is need car quickly so cant wait to order a brand new one.
    Had a quick sit in a 30kW model and preferred the old dash with the small seperate speedo - almost a head-up display!

Need to find time now to look at the Ioniq.

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    Ioniq: On the website I linked above, they say it's a 2-week delivery period for a brand new one. If you want a test drive, you'll have to find a Hyundai dealer that does them; they don't all. Use Hyundai's official site Dealer Locator | Find the Nearest Hyundai Dealers and check "...electric dealer". In our Premium SE, we do have seat memory on the driver's side and it bristles with radar for collision avoidance etc. It doesn't have auto dipping headlights, but it will more or less steer itself and adjust its own speed for the preceding traffic etc...

14. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    The Ionqi is by far the most 'efficent' EV on the market, and by a good margin. It also has more tech than the old Leaf.

But get a 30kWh Leaf and itll be fine for 70 miles in winter. The Leaf really is a lovely car, especially if you can get a good deal on one.

Just happened my inlaws now have one, maybe it was just nostalgia but I found my self wondering if we should get one to go along side the Tesla and go fully electric.

Cannot quite rember costs but a figure of £280/month sounds familiar, clealry thats a good amount more than what I paid for my old Leaf, but the days of £200/month Leaf deals are long gone. Still it really isnt a bad looking EV.....and I recon you can probably get 5 used ones for the same £££ as the Tesla.

I would aim for £13-15k on a used 30kWh, nothing goes wrong with them so no advantage to buy newer, and at that kind of price really is a bargain (Leaf not Tesla :)).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  15. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    [emoji1] [emoji1] Can't wait for the time that bargain and Tesla can appear in the same sentence [emoji33]
    My wife might be scuppering my chances of an electric car. She is a bit of a brand snob and apparently Nissan or Hyundai are not posh enough. Sadly it's her bonus that is funding this! Last year we had talked about a bmw 4 series convertible and she is keen on this at the moment[emoji33]

16. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,395
    Which means the £100 a month deal I had is a long distant memory now then. The 2 years we had the Leaf was some of the cheapest motoring I ever had. Also miss the EV experience as it was a lovely car to drive.

17. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    I handed back our 2.5 year old 24kWh Leaf Tekna a few weeks back, having really enjoyed it (it was my first EV).

As I could not get anywhere close to the PCP deal I got for a new Leaf I decided to go for a Soul EV on a 6+23 PCH deal for £200/month with Drive Electric. I have to say I actually like the Soul much more than the old Leaf, and the 30kWH usable capacity and better efficiency make it feel like it has double the range of the Leaf too!

18. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,985
    May well look at those:)

19. 1jim

1jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +427
    what range do you get with the soul?

20. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +589
    Not got anywhere near it’s capacity so far and have only done local journeys of 30-40 miles in town and rural A/B roads.

400 miles travelled so far and getting 4-5.5 mikes/kWh without any attempts to maximise efficiency so will easily manage 100 miles plus with plenty left in reserve. Not sure what to expect at motorway speeds, but as the nearest is an hour away that’s not going to be a regular journey or be happening any time soon.

With the Leaf I charged pretty much every night to make sure there was no risk of running low. With the Soul I can afford to go days without charging, and with 7kW charger I can get a useful amount innthe battery in a couple of hours too.

21. SourKraut

SourKraut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Best I can manage is 3.9kW in a 30kW Leaf, so 4-5.5kW is damn good going..I may have a look at the Soul but I’ve got another 2yrs yet to go on my contract:(