1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

might as well face it, i'm addicted to EBAY!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Marc, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    God i can't stop buying things on e-bay..

i was getting kinda annoyed with it last week cos it was my first week really buying much stuff and i kept getting outbid in the last minutes by about 50p and i ended up only winning 3 things which were all "buy it now" items, a The Punisher t-shirt, for £10.58 inc P&P, and Gothika/Starsky & Hutch DVD's for £9.24 inc P&P each.

But yesterday i kicked off by winning Bruce Almighty DVD for £6.69 inc P&P before i went to bed, and today i really went wild and got Bad Company DVD for £5.49 inc P&P, A Man Apart DVD for £6.99 inc P&P, Sphere DVD for £3.50 inc p&p, Art Of Losing CD for 5.40 inc P&P, Dead End DVD for £6.94 inc P&P, Solaris, Phone Booth and Confidence DVD's for £5.99 each inc P&P, Signs DVD for £6.08 inc P&P, Bringing Out the Dead DVD for £2.74 inc P&P and Cold Creek Manor DVD for £6.98 inc P&P

I think i got a few really good bargains there, all new or 2nd hand originals if my judgement and research is correct, and i still haven't used up all my paypal balance from the junk i sold a couple of weeks ago, so now i'm on the hunt for Welcome to the jungle, daredevil 2 disc, walking tall, alien quadrilogy and 50 first dates, as well as anything else that catches my eye!

Do you think i did well, or did i waste my money? I know a few dvd's there ie Sphere, A Man Apart, Solaris etc aren't rated very highly, but i was happy to pay the sort of money i paid for them as i thought they weren't bad films, but just not good enough to pay £10 or more for.

Marc

2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just be aware that there are a hell of a lot of pirates on eBay.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    yeah. believe me i scouted through tons of versions of each title before deciding on ones i thought looked legitimate.

for instance, look at this description in the Confidence, Phonebooth and Solaris auctions:
    Generally a seller won't blatantly lie in his description as it's a criminal offence, the best they can do is be vague, and then be even more vague when you e-mail them and ask them a direct question, for instance:

My question: Hi, is this the official retail region 1 DVD of the rundown or an import from a country other than the US/CA?

The reply: i have a dealer in the states that send them to me.

This is one i didn't bother bidding on..

but wish me luck on all the others, obviously there's still a risk involved, but i'll threaten them with FACT if they don't give me a full refund without return of the disc.

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I don't know if FACT will have them quaking in their boots, but you could certainly threaten them with negative feedback, and a complaint to eBay and PayPal. Personally, I usually avoid sellers who will only accept cheques, as there's not much you can do once a cheque has been cashed.

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stuck a negative feedback for a trader selling Jurassic Park Superbits and claiming they were Region Zero and from China.

I got this back after posting my negative feedback.

"Thank you for responding to the case. We appreciate your commitment to working out this issue. We have notified ZhongQi Tan that you have responded.

You have declined the other party's request for a Mediator to help work out your issues, even though the other party is willing to pay the full cost of mediation. You and the other party may want to consider requesting the assistance of a SquareTrade Mediator to help you resolve your dispute. Mediation is most helpful if you and the other party do want to resolve the dispute, but are having trouble coming up with a solution that both you and the seller are comfortable with".

I declined to discuss it and said they were counterfeit goods, end of discussion.

I actually emailed EBay and told them in advance they were counterfeit and EBay did nothing so i decided to bid for the goods and win them then post a negative, funnily enough a week after doing this EBay suspended this persons account, strange how they don't listen to complaints in advance and i had to actually bid and then refuse to pay before they listened ( my account is suspended too and they actually say they want fees off me for buying goods but the thing is i refuse to buy the goods theyre all counterfeit and i told them that )

The bottom line is i will not use EBay for DVD purchases.

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry Foxy, where did that response come from? It's a strange response from a trader, but that's how I (mis?)understood it from your post.

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He was ( still is ) a member of Square Trade which supposedly gives buyers assurances that the goods they are purchasing are all legitimate ( not sure but i think Square Trade is EBays official seal of approval for traders or at least works hand in hand with EBay.

That response was from the Square Trade mediator because i refuse to mediate and take away my negative review which is what he wants.

8. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can they try to charge you money when the goods are counterfeit? I thought the only Jurassic Park Superbit DVDs available were from Japan hence region 2

9. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Does eBay itself claim any responsibility for what is bought in the auctions? Just looking at it from their point of view, they can't possibly oversee every item put up for sale, to ensure it's genuine, so I would imagine "caveat emptor" must apply in most cases.

That said, I agree, they could do more, or act quicker, when people report bad traders, or fake goods. Foxy, why are they charging you fees for buying stuff? I thought it was only sellers who paid eBay fees.