MIDWAY - History re-written (again)?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Confucius, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Taken from the sleeve liner production notes:

"Six months into World War II, the historic naval battle of Midway (June 3 - 6, 1942)......." :rolleyes:

I thought we'd left this sort of nonsense behind with U571. :mad:

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,463
    Well of course way back when Midway was made, the US film makers thought a lot less about markets outside the US (IMO) and political correctness. And for them the war started with Pearl Harbour.

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Indeed, Midway was 6 months after PH, though it has to be said the wording is a little, well, unfortunate.

4. camarata

camarata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you know that the original theatrical release was in Sensurround. Does the current DVD carry this soundtrack?:eek:

5. Mikael

Mikael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, although I see what you mean, technically it wasn't a World War until USA (and Japan) were involved...

6. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well Technically then it was NEVER a world war since Switzerland stayed Neutral.... :clown:

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,463
    Just watched Pearl Harbour DVD.
    Bloke realises something is happening, asks what and gets a reply 'World War 2 just started'.

8. Milhouse

Milhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were the Americans in World War I? If they were someone better tell Hollywood so they can make a film about the Yanks fighting in the trenches, taking only limited casualties, defeating the Hun and with not a Tommy or Frenchie in sight... ;)

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Interesting article in The Sunday Times by Jeremy Clarkson a couple of weeks ago in which he talked about the American perspective in war and historical films in which they are busily rewriting history.

I don't think that the average yank has much idea of what happens outside their own shores and cares even less which makes "American history" easier to manipulate.

American comedian Jackie Mason was being interviewed on radio recently about his forthcoming date in Cardiff and had to admit that he didn't even know what part of "England" it was in.

Ian

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,841
    What about their sport! When they have a world series it ends at their shores.

Mind you I read the other day, (I do not know the age of them though, they could just be kids but) when asked who Churchill was, some English people said an insurance salesman.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades

11. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Ian, you're unfair in your thinking! I would never propose that sort of statement about the folks in the U.K. Don't you think we could go to the east end of sleepy London town and find some dolts who don't know squat. The point is, ignorance knows no national bondaries.

Hey, this is a big country and we have our share of the ignorant! Have you ever actually been here? I've never been to the U.K. I'd like to. I have been to Belgium, Luxemborg, and the Neatherlands. People are the same everywhere, fundamentally, me thinks!:)

I didn't read the article you referred to but I disagree. The cinema is hardly a place to learn history anyway. I learned history via those bound, paper things.

It's my impression that, collectively, the British are more inquisitive about history and science than Americans. I'm not sure why? Who are these "average yanks"? Do I qualify? I know what year we secretly entered the war (WW2). Don't you think there are above average people everywhere, anywhere? I do! :) Best wishes from Polezannia ( a secret country hidden amonsgst the U.S. sprawl)!

P.S.- mistake # 3 is when you start believing in stereotypes. Just ask Boy George if you don't believe me!

12. Mikael

Mikael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You bet, but they came in late, just like the second time ;)
    Check out this site

Not sure if any movies about them were made, though...

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Rachael,

Taking the mickey out of Americans is a British national pastime. I used to work for Bank of America and have many American friends as well as relatives living happily in various states.

Of course there are clever and stupid people in every nation but it suits us to make fun of Americans as they are soft targets on a UK web site when we don't know that they are lurking.

As I wouldn't like to be caught saying something nice about our colonial brethren I have arranged that this post will self destruct in ten seconds

Ian

14. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    well i know lots of Americans but Im still to find one that will admit to voting for Bush...