Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Lionsgate has landed the U.S. distribution rights to Midway, the Roland Emmerich-directed drama about the seminal WWII battle.

The film is an epic telling of the Battle of Midway, a turning point in the Pacific theater of World War II. The story follows the real soldiers and aviators who pulled off the unbelievable to turn the tide of the war in June 1942.

Lionsgate’s Patrick Wachsberger;
“We’re thrilled to bring the action-packed story of one of the greatest naval battles in history to the big screen with a world-class creative team led by the visionary Roland Emmerich and a blue-chip roster of partners,” “This is epic and heroic storytelling for a global audience at its very finest.”

I like a lot of Roland Emmerich's films, but he's not a director I'd associate with the word "finest"... unless it was to say I consider Godzilla to be his finest turd.

Already know this is going to be crap. It will be CGI-laden, overwritten with cheesy dialogue, insensitive and have a rubbish soundtrack.

Patrick Wilson added as Edwin Layton, the rear admiral in the U.S. Navy who was a key intelligence officer during WWII.

He joins Woody Harrelson and Mandy Moore

63599.jpg

From the trailer looks like the GCI from the House of Mouse joke that was Pearl Harbor. Zeros flying down the road between the trees. Come on! This will the third film on the battle, the first with Henry Fonda, the second at best with Charlton Heston. Will it be as epic a failure as Pearl Harbor was to Tora! Tora! Tora!

Trailer certainly looks the part (mostly) but if i had to bet, i’d say this will be a smorgasbord of over sentimentality/ott action that descends into total ridiculousness.

Kind of like most of his movies.

it'll obviously be one you can file beside Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor, and so far for me Roland peaked with The Day After Tomorrow, but I really like the look of this.
It'll probably all fall apart when it comes to the bits inbetween the action scenes but right now I'm thinking I'm not really going to care. My hair stood on end a few times watching this and that's enough for me.
I'm predicting a critical mauling. It'll get ripped to pieces.

CGI looks good, not great. Cast for the most part is pretty ropey aswell.

CGI looks good, not great. Cast for the most part is pretty ropey aswell.

Nolan put Harry Styles in Dunkirk.

Roland brings in Nick Jonas (Jumanji 2)

IMG_1954.JPG

Ed Skrein most likely the weakest link

IMG_1955.JPG

Last edited:
Don’t have an issue with Jonas. Skrein on the other hand....
4EC072FE-7C74-4810-8E5D-F347B9678C9D.gif

From the trailer looks like the GCI from the House of Mouse joke that was Pearl Harbor. Zeros flying down the road between the trees. Come on! This will the third film on the battle, the first with Henry Fonda, the second at best with Charlton Heston. Will it be as epic a failure as Pearl Harbor was to Tora! Tora! Tora!

Didn't Henry Fonda & Charlton Heston star together in the movie Midway ?,i believe there was another shorter movie called the Battle of Midway starring Henry Fonda,but i believe it was a documentary by John Ford ?

I can also see this as another Pearl Harbour :(

Last edited:
Didn't Henry Fonda & Charlton Heston star together in the movie Midway ?,
Yes it was quite a good story
did not one of the reasons the japanese lost was indecisive on what bombs to equip there planes with, and time lost swapping them.
I seem to think it was this, or an other? where they cut the film into actual footage of planes crashing which looked very poor.

Roland Emmerich films usually have the "one man nobody believes, until it is (almost) too late" thing going on, and that's not needed for this.

I've spent the last 20 minutes on facebook reading comments on numerous postings of this trailer, mostly from young Americans (but an embarrassing amount of older ones too), about how they "can't wait to see this remake of Pearl Harbor" :laugh:

Nobody below a certain age seems to know anything about history any more :facepalm:

I've spent the last 20 minutes on facebook reading comments on numerous postings of this trailer, mostly from young Americans (but an embarrassing amount of older ones too), about how they "can't wait to see this remake of Pearl Harbor" :laugh:

Nobody below a certain age seems to know anything about history any more :facepalm:
Someone at the BBC doesn't know either they shamefully stuck the film Dunkirk on a few days after the anniversary of D-Day. Which happened 4 years earlier and was a retreat rather than a victory.

Even on quiz show little knowledge what they should have learned at school such as basic knowledge of the solar system one woman thought Mars was the next planet to Venus, an other Jupiter was smaller than Venus.

Someone at the BBC doesn't know either they shamefully stuck the film Dunkirk on a few days after the anniversary of D-Day. Which happened 4 years earlier and was a retreat rather than a victory.

Even on quiz show little knowledge what they should have learned at school such as basic knowledge of the solar system one woman thought Mars was the next planet to Venus, an other Jupiter was smaller than Venus.

watching quiz shows makes me cringe at how little of anything anyone seems to know, especially if the contestants are celebrities. But then, back in the dark ages (you'd think :laugh:) when I grew up we used to read books. By choice. The world's much dumber now, or it appears to be, anyway.

watching quiz shows makes me cringe at how little of anything anyone seems to know, especially if the contestants are celebrities. But then, back in the dark ages (you'd think :laugh:) when I grew up we used to read books. By choice. The world's much dumber now, or it appears to be, anyway.
even in these days I do a lot of research on the internet, its almost like when I was a kid when I had encyclopedias I read something that would peak my interest something else and I go of and read up on that.

A lot today just about know who won WWII but can tell you every winner of Love Island.

BTW I started watching this.

EDIT
Darn it there no part 2 but you can guess most of what happens next or watch the the film, very good documentary as far as it goes.

an other Jupiter was smaller than Venus.
I saw that one. Tipping Point, the quiz for idiots.

Hollywood, on a whole has a very strange view of WWII, or rather the 1941-1945 conflict with Germany and Japan. Even Speilberg's Saving Private Ryan glossed over Royal Navy's coxwains that landed many of the American troops onto Omaha Beach. It was the Royal Navy that landed four battalions of American troops on both Omaha and Utah beaches.

Then there's U571.:facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom