Midway 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Very interested to see this. I've read that the story was not so accurately told at times. We'll see; I also care about the sacrifice this generation made & feel it is important to stay with the truth.

And for anyone wanting to see a really definitely accurate telling of the Pearl Harbour attack, then Tora Tora Tora! is a must-see.

Lived this film. Took some “Pearl Harbour “ type dissing but it’s a real cinema experience.

Just finished in 2K which is disappointing. The standard blu ray has Atmos then is the film itself worth spending the extra £10 on. It's not the greatest of reviews and perhaps the story has been told better in the two previous films even though this new one is packed full of special effects. Pearl Harbor was a spectacular failure from the House of Mouse compared to Tora Tora Tora.

Rotten Tomatoes has a review of 43% from critics with an audience rating of 92%.

Just finished in 2K which is disappointing. The standard blu ray has Atmos then is the film itself worth spending the extra £10 on. It's not the greatest of reviews and perhaps the story has been told better in the two previous films even though this new one is packed full of special effects. Pearl Harbor was a spectacular failure from the House of Mouse compared to Tora Tora Tora.

Rotten Tomatoes has a review of 43% from critics with an audience rating of 92%.
Pearl Harbour and Tora Tora Tora are not the battle for Midway which Midway happened after that event.
Midway 1976 film

Sometimes I wonder about these Reviewers - Sometimes they seem reasonable, sometimes it feels like everyone decided to act like the local villagers in Frankenstein, complete with pitchforks & burning Brands. That has nothing to do with if I like the Film or not, just the general trend for any film.
Until I see it, I can't comment on if I think the Reviewers or Audience were right :)

Looking forwards to this, impressive that it tracks real life peeps and tells hopefully the real story of there sacrifice.
Fully onboard with appreciating what our relatives gave in the name of peace, my father lost 3 brothers in the war ( there didn't seem to be a saving private ryan ethos applied to our family)

Sometimes I wonder about these Reviewers - Sometimes they seem reasonable, sometimes it feels like everyone decided to act like the local villagers in Frankenstein, complete with pitchforks & burning Brands. That has nothing to do with if I like the Film or not, just the general trend for any film.
Until I see it, I can't comment on if I think the Reviewers or Audience were right :)

Audience and a reviewer are totally different things and sometimes can result in very different opinions.

The targeted audience can be a very single mindset where a film will appeal to them even though it is total dross.

A very simple example is something like Disney Descendants film. It's not great but give it to the expected audience of 7-12 year old girls and they love it.

Conversely reviewers are known to get over excited by the art of film. Or mixed up in how a film of a type should be - point and case when originally 'The good, the Bad and the Ugly' was originally released it was widely criticised by reviewers. But the audience got it right in that example.

I love world war 2 movies so i went to theaters for this movie and all i can say is that it was a fun watch.
The atmos in the theater was slamming so i was hoping that it would translate on 4k.
Already own the US 4k disc and it’s a good release no doubt !

For those who are on the fence about this movie should give it a try, it’s a fun two hours watching this movie !

Audience and a reviewer are totally different things and sometimes can result in very different opinions.

The targeted audience can be a very single mindset where a film will appeal to them even though it is total dross.

A very simple example is something like Disney Descendants film. It's not great but give it to the expected audience of 7-12 year old girls and they love it.

Conversely reviewers are known to get over excited by the art of film. Or mixed up in how a film of a type should be - point and case when originally 'The good, the Bad and the Ugly' was originally released it was widely criticised by reviewers. But the audience got it right in that example.
Absolutely agree! :)

Looking forwards to this, impressive that it tracks real life peeps and tells hopefully the real story of there sacrifice.
Fully onboard with appreciating what our relatives gave in the name of peace, my father lost 3 brothers in the war ( there didn't seem to be a saving private ryan ethos applied to our family)

Nothing real life in this film

try
BBC - France 1939: One Last Summer
Absolute fantastic production and it will move you.

Critics savaged this one, it's on 43% on Rotten Tomatoes. I recall Kermode was especially brutal.

I'd struggle to think of anything Emerich has done which wasn't truly awful. Then again, people evidently like movies filled with explosions. Horses for courses I guess.

Find some reviewers with whom you usually agree. I generally go with whatever Mark Kermode says, and cross reference it with the Filmspotting podcast. To my tastes, I'd say Kermode is right 9/10 times at least. He has taste, even if he does go off on one sometimes.

thanks Simon. Just hit the pre-order button. Reckon this will get my subs dancing around my room nicely!

Pearl Harbour and Tora Tora Tora are not the battle for Midway which Midway happened after that event.
Midway 1976 film

I was just comparing the films of the events, Tora Tora Tora vs Pearl Harbor and the two different versions of the Midway battle, the first with Henry Fonda and the second which you've outlined above. Just hope is better than how the House of Mouse treated Pearl Harbor, it had the potential to be such a good film that was mired in Americana BS.

Saw this film with my dad, we laughed in the wrong places a few times, especially some of the dialogue. BUT we both actually enjoyed it! It's clunky but romps along and the battle scenes are excellent.

Watched this film on Kodi in 4K HDR .. it is one big dose of Jingoistic nonsense .. should come supplied with Stars and Stripes .. Woddy Harleson is hilarious as the Boss man.. It is very difficult to take anything seriously.. even the code breaking was handled light-heartedly... It's a big chance missed ..

If you are from across the pond , you may like it .. but if John Wayne had turned up in this film it could not have been more cheesy .. where as if you are not American it is difficult to take serious even if it is based on true exents..

Netflix documentaries on the Pacific war are much more compelling.

I was just comparing the films of the events, Tora Tora Tora vs Pearl Harbor and the two different versions of the Midway battle, the first with Henry Fonda and the second which you've outlined above. Just hope is better than how the House of Mouse treated Pearl Harbor, it had the potential to be such a good film that was mired in Americana BS.
May be reading it wrong but the version above is the Henry Fonda version. I seem to recall although a very good story had a fair amount of stock footage from the war.

I haven't watched the whole movie yet, just bits and pieces so I'm not judging it totally. But from the trailers I thought Woody Harrelson looked and sounded very out of place. What I have seen of the movie so far hasn't changed my mind. My other problem is that I've seen the break down of one scene in particular where they highlight things that just should not happen in a modern film. I suppose one could argue that it shows how difficult it is to get real people and CGI to mesh, but either way it looks especially awful.

When actors make war films they normally go to boot camp for a while to get into shape for their roles. The stars of this went to “the school of serious faces” to try to perfect their roles for this.
Cheesy puff filled home cinema fodder. Must own for all serious home cinema owners.

The cgi in the movie is dreadful. Its years out of date and totally detracts from the film. Many on imdb say the same thing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom