Quantcast

Midway 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Evinger

The cgi in the movie is dreadful. Its years out of date and totally detracts from the film. Many on imdb say the same thing.
As I've written before, I haven't seen the Movie yet, but the trailer looked only as "Good" CGI-wise as the airplane scenes in Pear Harbour. I hope the true Movie experience is better.

Meanwhile, "Dunkirk" is magnificently believable - yes, I know, not so many planes & massive Warships in a scene, but it absolutely sold itself as "real" in my opinion.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Watched this Monday night, and yes, some of the CGI on the ships/backdrop look a bit ropey, but i thought the actual fighter plane scenes, attacks, dogfights/Ariel battles looked really good.

mikeybabes2

Distinguished Member
When I saw this I hadn't made a note of who the director was - and about a third of the way through I was saying to myself that it had a sense of Independence Day about it......

Gung Ho, a bit Dumb, but rather fun......

Last edited:

StefanBFC

I'm confused, I'm sure it's been reviewed on here and got a 3 rating?
Is this just the rating for 4k?

I've pre ordered this anyway.. looking forward to it despite some of the critics.

Films are also for entertainment, this looks like it has that.

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
I'm confused, I'm sure it's been reviewed on here and got a 3 rating?
Is this just the rating for 4k?

I've pre ordered this anyway.. looking forward to it despite some of the critics.

Films are also for entertainment, this looks like it has that.
Unless you read a review for "Dauntless,.the battle of midway?

wolfie138

Find some reviewers with whom you usually agree. I generally go with whatever Mark Kermode says, and cross reference it with the Filmspotting podcast. To my tastes, I'd say Kermode is right 9/10 times at least. He has taste, even if he does go off on one sometimes.
I call him Mark Commode because he's full of ****.

Evinger

I call him Mark Commode because he's full of ****.
Ouch! :laugh:
Just like this Movie, seems we have various, drastically different, opinions!

wolfie138

I hate all paid reviewers, how someone talks a place into paying them for having an opinion is pathetic. It's especially a mockery by scum like the ones from the daily mirror who obviously just looked at the press kit then spouted off pompously w/out having seen the film - or sent someone else to see it then asked them :-/
The only reviews I pay attention to are ones on sites like this, which are more about the tech details etc.

Rockets

I hate all paid reviewers, how someone talks a place into paying them for having an opinion is pathetic. It's especially a mockery by scum like the ones from the daily mirror who obviously just looked at the press kit then spouted off pompously w/out having seen the film - or sent someone else to see it then asked them :-/
The only reviews I pay attention to are ones on sites like this, which are more about the tech details etc.

Well you are absolutely screwed on this film then with the other review

You have got two reviews
Utter dross or recommended
which one
which one
which one......................................

supermackem

Terrible, cgi is errrm budget I’d say calling it budget is a disservice to budget as budget can look decent, this at times looks shot in someone’s house with a green screen behind them. It’s all over the place with super quick cuts. Some of the acting is phoned in and it’s proper USA USA USA glad I got it a bit cheaper on digital but still £13 wasted as I doubt I’ll ever rewatch it.

Sonic67

Banned
Nothing real life in this film
A huge amount is.

Rockets

A huge amount is.

I think you will find there really is nothing REAL LIFE in this film, it is a recreation. Many think it's a pretty bad recreation but that's another story.

Where as if you look at my original post of the French 1939 film - it was all real life. All home footage, with some news reels and diary extracts.

GT One

Standard Member
This version of Midway is a reasonable effort as much research was done to create the CGI and get the naval vessels and aircraft looking correct, in fact the whole 1940's period feel of the movie is done very well. Roland Emmerich doesn't linger too long with any specific scene which is probably a good idea as the acting is quite wooden on occasion, which I guess replicates the 70's production style that the movie conveys, the fearless warrior creed depicted by the U.S. and Japanese naval aviators would have been recognized in any number of 60's and 70's war movies when America was deeply involved in a Cold War with Communism, so exactly what message was embedded in Midway's story for today's younger generations is unclear as WWII is not as popular a subject as it once was, especially as other contemporary sociological interests are more dominant.
For me, Tora,Tora,Tora will not be bettered as a classic war movie about the Pacific war, it was an end of an era for big budget productions which used real aircraft, real ships and no CGI, just great looking large scale models.

Smiffy 2

My copy arrives from Amazon today.
Day off tomorrow and the neighbours will be at work, so will give it a spin and crank the volume up a bit.
🤔 🤔 🤔

nufcfan1

Watched this over the weekend. From a visual, and sound stand point the movie is first rate no doubt. The atmos in the battle scenes are superb.
As a movie...... I really struggled with the cheese factor if I am being honest. As previously mentioned patriotic americans will lap this up, but the acting, and dialogue were a bit "basic" at times. It is a difficult one as the subject matter is a major part of world history, and should never be overlooked, but I would rather view the documentaries on the subject rather than this cheese fest.
As a home cinema enthusiast I understand the attraction of superb sound/picture to demo a set up, but for me if the movie is weak, and unlikely to be rewatched what is the point?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Watching this now, just having a break whilst picking the daughter up from swimming. Soundtrack is absolutely reference, stunning!

Smiffy 2

Errrrrrrrrrr I fell asleep watching it.
:( :( :(

Evinger

Errrrrrrrrrr I fell asleep watching it.
:( :( :(
For a Movie that I imagine has a lot of Explosions, bullets flying about, & Aircraft Engine Noises, that is impressive! :thumbsup:

Smiffy 2

For a Movie that I imagine has a lot of Explosions, bullets flying about, & Aircraft Engine Noises, that is impressive! :thumbsup:
I slept through Titanic too. The only bit that woke me up in that was when Kate Winslet slipped her kit off. But then my ears are fine tuned for action like that.... ;) ;) ;)

One thing I did notice though......... my disc froze in a couple of places early doors. Anyone else had this problem???

Last edited:

MartinH32

Enjoyed it - not the best, too much CGI, but then again I can't see what else they could have done. Good to see Dennis Quaid again!