1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Midrange frequency range

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by braidkid, Mar 16, 2005.

1. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    My understanding is that a lot of home theatre speakers are critized for not delivering enough mid range. My satellite speakers, for example, have a freq range of 120Hz-20kHz. If I were to get speakers with a range of 80Hz-20kHz would that be enough of a difference to bring out more midrange? I guess my real question is does anyone know exactly what frequencies the midrange fall into? Should I look for speakers that go down to 60Hz instead?
    Thanks

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it (and I'm usually wrong!) it's satellite speakers generally that lack midrange, this was borne out by all the satellites I listened to.

The drivers and cabinets just aren't big enough to move enough air - so while they can respond down to <100Hz, the response isn't very large. The sub takes care of frequencies below where the sats stop, but above the sub crossover point satellites just don't produce much volume until you get up into 'high' frequencies.

If you want a 'bigger' sound, i.e. better midrange response look into replacing the centre and fronts with fullsize bookshelves or floorstanders.

What speakers do you have and what's your budget?

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Midrange frequencies are around 500Hz-5Khz.

4. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remids me of this for some reason:
    http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

and

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html

Guessing as the Bose systems use small speakers as well.

5. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Infinity TSS-750 system. Unfortunately the satellites only go down to 120Hz and the sub down to 34Hz. I guess educating yourself after the purchase isn't the best idea....ignorance is bliss. :) Anyway, I'm contimplating getting the M&K 750THX package but not sure if it'll be a drastic improvement over what I have now.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I've never heard the Infinity speakers so can't comment but let your ears be your only guide and give the M&K's a good long demo of mixed materials and see what you think.

7. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have never heard of Infinity? Oh my.

Also, have a look at the Infinity Oreus 5.1 system. Very good system for the money.

8. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Braidkid, bear in mind you don't have to replace the whole package! If you replace just the fronts and centre with more suitable speakers you'll save some cash, use the remaining sats as part of a 7.1 system and upgrade incrementally.

9. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mango, that is a good idea, however I'm afraid of mixed speakers because of bad timbre matching.

10. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    Some purists might say otherwise, but while it is important to have timbre matching for the front three, it's less important for the rears.

11. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, it's more important if you're going to listen to multi-channel music. Still a reasonable upgrade path though.

12. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got MA Radius R90 fronts/rears and R180 centre with a Quad-L sub. Have to agree that mid lacks presence. Other half said she wanted discrete speakers but I keep thinking was it a compromise too far? If only I can find a way of getting some 30cm fronts tucked behind the AV cabinet so she can't see them....