Midnight Sky (Netflix) Movie Review

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Xmas day early viewing.
Yes, it's slow but very well acted..
Clooney direction probably could have done with a bit more humpf but the scenes for K23 are stunning....
Not much action wise as it's emotionally driven.

7/10.

Garrett

Just watched... and have a few questions:
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

How long was the trip to that planet and back in total? Maya looks awfully young if it took 10+ years (going by the video from the Kyle's wife).
Are they (Iris, husband and unborn baby) the only humans that will go to the new planet?
How to add spoiler tags in the sticky at the top of this section Before Posting Here Read This :Spoilers What The Are and How To Hide Them, And Good Etiquette
Spoiler tags please.
Tagged it for them.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Nah , not for me as could not get past the whole previously not found, miraculous find in our own solar system premiss.

That part would of been better served with with a sub light mission to our nearest star outside our solar system . The missions time being greatly reduced to earth time the closer they would be to speed of light.

And of course that mission forgotten in those years with an apocalyptic event here on earth.

Makes more sense to me !

La Finta Nonna

Enjoyed the film quite a bit, early part of the film was a little slow going but once both separate parts of the film were placed in jeopardy then I really got into it I would give it a seven

james03

It was enough of a distraction to reach a level of being interesting. Don’t have much more to say on it and expressing the fact it was a little slow and ponderous seems to be a common theme.
Would I watch it again, doubtful.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I would suggest the Clooney led Solaris over this if one wants a slow burn character led sci fi .

GT One

Midnight Sky was one of the Netflix offerings I was looking forward to this Christmas, George Clooney has pedigree producing and directing and also as an actor, if the part is right, his acting in Catch 22 was excellent as is the depiction of a man facing a slow death, with Clooney being the director as well the convincing look of terminal illness he portrayed must have been helped a lot by the stresses of film making.
Having said that the film's plot did look familiar after the first half an hour and you cant ignore the feeling a bit more could have been included about Earths apocalyptic event, instead Augustine's isolation in a lonely frigid landscape became symbolic of the slow poisoning of planet Earth.
The plot resemblance to the movie 'On the Beach' didn't strike me until Ethan Peck who plays Augustine's younger self appeared, his grandfather Gregory made a sort of cameo appearance in a movie clip too, watched by Mitchell on the returning spacecraft.
It would be a spoiler to describe the decision made by Mitchell and a fellow crew mate but replace the spacecraft with a submarine and the parallel is obvious.
The ending was disappointingly unoriginal and most sci-fi fans will have foreseen this ending long before it happened.
Midnight Sky was a movie in two halves with the second half providing the most visual interest and noise, but even then the films final chapter never reached a conclusion satisfying enough to justify the long running time, I believe some viewers may not have have stayed with the film long enough to see where all the CGI money was spent.
I did enjoy watching parts of this Netflix film but I doubt I shall watch it again, but who knows it could be another long year ahead.
I rate this film 7 out of 10 mainly because I want to see more quality sci-fi made in the future.

Last edited:

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Fell asleep during this one, snored loudly and ruined my wifes enjoyment. I had a few drinks in me in my defence.:facepalm:

I fell asleep late afternoon :D , woke up and decided to watch this, managed to stay awake but it was pretty boring. 6/10 from me.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Watched this last night, bit of a slow one and would say it just about reaches the 7/10 that Cas gave it.
Good performance from Clooney but was hoping for more overall.

SPOILERS:
If the last two people and the unborn child are the last of humanity then it won't get very far. Unless you want to start a race of mutants.

massimj

Standard Member
It was ok, but a bit too boring. When he was talking to his daughter near the end, why did he not tell her he was her father. The whole thing was boring, but I watched it anyway.

iangreasby

Distinguished Member
I gave it 8, even though it was a lot different than I was expecting. If you go into it thinking it is an "action" sci fi, then you may be disappointed. I would venture to suggest it has a similar pace and vibe to "Arrival", though not quite as good. I will most definitely be watching it again, probably several times.

lee667

Distinguished Member
Watched this on Wednesday, it was alright but nothing to write home about. Would give it a 6/10

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Watched this last night simply because it was the first thing on Netflix and I was too drunk to operate the remote to find anything else 😂 I quite enjoyed it and found the slow pace aligned nicely with my inebriated state!

Not a movie to lift the spirits though and went to bed on something of a downer on completion.

Indiana Jones

Just watched... and have a few questions:
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

How long was the trip to that planet and back in total? Maya looks awfully young if it took 10+ years (going by the video from the Kyle's wife).
Are they (Iris, husband and unborn baby) the only humans that will go to the new planet?

They said
they had been out in space for 2 years.

Craig uk

4/10 for me. Very poor.

steve iow

I don’t think i watched the same movie as most of you because I thoroughly enjoyed it, for me a rating of 9/10

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed it. I accepted its varying pace early on and overall it was a decent watch. I think they missed a trick in not developing a story line for the new planet and also what happened on Earth. I still don’t know. But a reasonable effort with acting by adults in the adult roles and not mid teen angst actors.

PaulDavidThomas

I’m at 4 out of 10. I actually stopped watching as it was so poor.

Zakblue

Thanks for the review Cas. I did check it out and It's a 6/10 for me. I really don't like the dreary more-of a-drama trend that these scifi flics are going on (Ad Astra, Annihilation, Arrival to name a few)
The sound design and soundtrack were really dynamic and reference quality. Impressive considering it was only the Netflix release. The visuals were also great so all in all I was kept entertained enough to give it a thumbs up.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom