Midnight Sky (Netflix) Movie Review

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
I’m with you here, it mostly very enjoyable a bit slow in places & needed some fleshing out of characters to really sing but honestly by the end I was quite impressed with the character arc & end scenes.
7/10
Needed more scenes of k23

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
i happen to watch this last night, i felt some of the action sequences were just placed for no particular reason, just because there had been a long slow period in the movie. i don't mind slow burners but i felt it was too slow..it nicked plenty of ideas from other sci fi movies. one of the rare times id score it about a 5 which is lower than you Cas...but i promise i wont burn you in hell as you have scored it a bit higher. i did actually like the ending but worked out what was happening half way through.

thanks for the review though Cas

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Cheers for the review Cas. Glad you gave it a 7/10 as that's about what you can expect from Netflix films these days.

Plus I'm a real sucker for anything post apocalyptic!

encaser

I don't mind a sci fi plodder but this wasn't as rewarding in mind as Clooney's Solaris.
Sure there's some nice visuals and quality actors that do there best with what little they've been given, however, that little isn't enough to truly care too much or get any real sense or depth of why it's all happening.
Clooney's Augustine, is too repressed in his supposed singular dedication to solve space travel in younger form, that you never get a feel of inspired passion or much of anything to give the viewer insight behind the man or much of anything. His wife, instead; looked like the typical one sat in the background to a genius, that has next to no time for her or anything else. It's like these men somehow pull off a brief flare of charisma in one or two meetings with them and captivate the woman into marriage levels of awe, only later for the woman to realise that they were about as intriguing as a shooting star and nearly as fleeting in hold.
When you consider the whole arc of the quaint twist (didn't see that coming). it's like Augustine was supposedly not so devoid of feeling or unimpassioned after all but a bubbling diviner of the portentous wrapped up with family in mind. I'm glad I stayed to the end (God knows we need to feel the love of family now), as one thing Clooney does is emote like no other when finally given the chance and that end meeting held power in it by not turning into a Hollywood gush of reveal.

Last edited:

stewjoy

4/5 out of 10 for me. I love sci-fi but for me this was very slow, I only stuck with it because I was curious about the ending.

Earthscope

Same for me about 5/10. I kept checking the time left and when I do that with a film it’s never a good thing. Too many generic ideas taken from what has been done before and better.....IMO
Which is a shame as I love a good bit of Sci-fi but this was just too long and slow for me.

pjr918bmw

Thought it very poor..apart from perhaps the last 1/2 hour.
I know it's fiction but some of the content defies basic physics and or human physiology..and when it's bad enough to make me say " oh come on!" It's bad!

Galaxy

4/5 out of 10 for me. I love sci-fi but for me this was very slow, I only stuck with it because I was curious about the ending.
Same here, and both me and Mrs Galaxy guessed the main thread of the ending from the beginning, which at least made us feel smug at the end rather than entertained!

aVdub

Distinguished Member
I would have enjoyed a condensed version with the bangs, floating blood and action scenes more than having to watching the whole movie.

I cannot get above 1-5 on this one.

Jason56d

Thanks for the review @Casimir Harlow .

I agree with your review scores around 50% of the time, so am hopeful I will enjoy this! I will settle for a watch on a 7 from you.

Was feeling a bit worried from the earlier scores people had been posted about it being slow etc.

mindforge

Good review. It was pretty flabby and could have done with 15 to 30 minutes being trimmed off, mostly the scenes with the astronauts. Some parts on the planet would have been more interested. The twist was predictable....

Slinkywizard

I didn’t hate it but it felt like two movies interleaved. A space drama full of manufactured peril, and an arctic survival drama. The latter film was interesting, while the former was boring despite its best efforts to ‘sex it up’. But they both denied the other enough time to be good or even great.

I must admit, when I see an opening caption that says ‘5 weeks after THE EVENT’ my expectations get set pretty low. Any ‘event’ worth talking about in the real world gets a specific descriptor — five weeks after the outbreak, five weeks after the impact. ‘The event’ or language like it is only ever used when (bad) storytellers need to string us along to work out exactly what happened. I mean, it’s such a stale trope Mitchell & Webb did a whole series of sketches about it.

Anyway. Didn’t hate it, lots to like, but also could have done with more time in the oven, and some tightening up on the running time. 6/10 from me.

Vega5000

Just watched... and have a few questions:
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

How long was the trip to that planet and back in total? Maya looks awfully young if it took 10+ years (going by the video from the Kyle's wife).
Are they (Iris, husband and unborn baby) the only humans that will go to the new planet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Just watched... and have a few questions:
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

How long was the trip to that planet and back in total? Maya looks awfully young if it took 10+ years (going by the video from the Kyle's wife).
Are they (Iris, husband and unborn baby) the only humans that will go to the new planet?

Spoiler tags please.

crabby09

Too many glaring issues with the decisions made during the film for me to be engrossed... I need things to at least make a LITTLE sense :/

crabby09

Actually... I feel like I need to elaborate a tad.
1. It was NOT a sci-fi film - it's more like two half baked psychological dramas, one of which is based in space
2. If mankind were on such a knife edge, the decisions taken by the crew are utterly ridiculous - you either need all the genetic material you can get or you take your chances with the rest of the dying
3. The ship is so terribly designed as to make you wonder if it was built by children
4. The idea that a habitable planet that close would need some sort of ill conceived scouting mission with such a ship makes zero sense
5. The film is based just 30 years in to the future. There is zero chance that we are in a position where the news of a habitable planet would cause a nuclear hollocaust

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Watched it tonight. Clooney’s performance reminded me of him in the film Solaris. Not bad overall. Excellent picture and audio. Glad I watched it.

moraghan

Actually... I feel like I need to elaborate a tad.
1. It was NOT a sci-fi film - it's more like two half baked psychological dramas, one of which is based in space
2. If mankind were on such a knife edge, the decisions taken by the crew are utterly ridiculous - you either need all the genetic material you can get or you take your chances with the rest of the dying
3. The ship is so terribly designed as to make you wonder if it was built by children
4. The idea that a habitable planet that close would need some sort of ill conceived scouting mission with such a ship makes zero sense
5. The film is based just 30 years in to the future. There is zero chance that we are in a position where the news of a habitable planet would cause a nuclear hollocaust

Merry Xmas to you too Crabby :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett