Midnight Mass (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Halfway through Ep2 last night and it was nearly binned. Still not convinced. On the plus side I actually got height from Sonos Arc from the bang on the roof and the music is superb. Also nothing quite like a traditional miracle to whet the appetite.

gunner84

Distinguished Member
Finished last night, it was ok, although some scenes can really drag.

7 is a fair score I would say.

Valen

Yep. All very good except that a lot of scenes are very dark (naturally) and the picture suffers a lot from near-black compression artefacting. All kinds of blobs and bloops dancing around in the blacks, basically. The only way to fix this from Netflix's side would be a higher bitrate.

But yeah, generally impressive picture and well mixed audio.
Never had any issues at all. What's you TV and broadband speed?

Slinkywizard

Never had any issues at all. What's you TV and broadband speed?
In signature. 1Gbps broadband. Trust me it's there.

bongo123

When it looks like a vampire, feeds like a vampire... its bloody fecking vampires.. why does no one see this or is this one of these shows where Bram Stoker never existed

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
When it looks like a vampire, feeds like a vampire... its bloody fecking vampires.. why does no one see this or is this one of these shows where Bram Stoker never existed
I thought the same initially but I think it's okay to say that vampires don't exist in the public consciousness in this world. It's not so unusual to see in horror literature and movies. Ignorance as a plot device.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Halfway through Ep2 last night and it was nearly binned. Still not convinced. On the plus side I actually got height from Sonos Arc from the bang on the roof and the music is superb. Also nothing quite like a traditional miracle to whet the appetite.
Ep3 and the wick has been turned up on the pace of events.

Valen

Valen

I thought this has a surprisingly good Atmos track too.
It's rare to get well produced audio these days. So many missed opportunities.

The_Wierd

Just finished this. Will take a while to digest, but basically brilliant. Been a while since I binged a series in one hit, but this was utterly compelling, just the right kind of slow burn. Would agree with most of the points raised here, yes a bit of dodgy make-up, but then they didn’t have Marvel’s budget for aging/de-aging, and it didn't spoil it. Also agree it’s a bit wordy in places, but it’s still good writing, well delivered and the quieter moments helped the shocks to hit harder. I also liked very much that it remained relatively restrained even towards the end and resisted the temptation to go full shlock. Absolutely reference pic and especially the sound. Overall a very satisfying watch for me, in fact would agree with almost every word of Tom’s review except the few negatives had less effect on me and I’d slap a 9 on the end.

mazon27091

The Atmos is very impressive when there is something on the teachers roof it sounded like it was on my roof. If you only listened to this on your tv you would miss a lot of the atmosphere which is building from the first episode to the third and I take it will go beyond (I haven't watched 4 onwards.) Perhaps that is why some people are not liking this (not on here but in general) as they dont have the necessary tech to take advantage of the sound design, which adds so much to the show.

Slinkywizard

The Atmos is very impressive when there is something on the teachers roof it sounded like it was on my roof. If you only listened to this on your tv you would miss a lot of the atmosphere which is building from the first episode to the third and I take it will go beyond (I haven't watched 4 onwards.) Perhaps that is why some people are not liking this (not on here but in general) as they dont have the necessary tech to take advantage of the sound design, which adds so much to the show.
Yes, agree. I thought this about The Haunting Of Hill House too. Incredibly immersive Atmos mix which over streaming is especially impressive since it doesn't have the advantage of clarity as disc does.

Vila

Though this was absolutely superb.

(dodgy makeup aside)

Considering there was 'only' 7 episodes I was particularly impressed with how well rounded so many of the characters felt.

Is Haunting of Hill House to a similar standard?

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Enjoyed this. Not as chilling as Hill House but an original take on the Vampire myth, without ever mentioning the word.
My first thought on seeing that creature would be NOSFERATU! :D
7.5 from Quest.
0.0 from Questwife (who had nightmares from little bit she saw and refused to watch final 2 episodes)..

Slinkywizard

Though this was absolutely superb.

(dodgy makeup aside)

Considering there was 'only' 7 episodes I was particularly impressed with how well rounded so many of the characters felt.

Is Haunting of Hill House to a similar standard?
HOHH is considerably better IMO. His best work. Midnight Mass is excellent for sure, but second fiddle.

carpman0401

I really enjoyed this, thought it was really poignant with that ending with the “ nearer my god to thee” being played. The clever use of music throughout was excellent. Solid 8 for me .

carpman0401

I really liked this. The hype is with squid game but I found this way more satisfying
Yeah I completely agree, I found it to be very touching with that ending , with them singing “ nearer to god are thee” and “ abide with me” earlier in , very powerful use of music. 👍

CLH

That scene on the rowing boat was just jaw dropping. And, as above, the music choices were amazing.

The above discussion (and in other places) about the sound editing etc is a good one. This definitely gains massively from surround sound. The hymns are amazing but so was Neil Diamond's Holly Holy.

carpman0401

That scene on the rowing boat was just jaw dropping. And, as above, the music choices were amazing.

The above discussion (and in other places) about the sound editing etc is a good one. This definitely gains massively from surround sound. The hymns are amazing but so was Neil Diamond's Holly Holy.
Yes it was really poignant, haunting in places. As you say, the music choices were amazing and that ending was unforgettably sad. You could really feel for the characters , I’ve never seen anything quite like it and I don’t think I ever will - brilliantly done. 👍

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I have listened to religious soundtrack on a pair of Sonos 5s. Good but was better at the time.

richp007

Distinguished Member
My sister told me about this show last night. I'd never heard of it and it turns out somehow I'd managed to miss this review from Tom as well :facepalm:

Very much a Flanagan fanboy these days, so I'll be all over this as soon as my little NowTV soiree and Succession have ended.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton