1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid size LCDs

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by philsparks, Feb 2, 2004.

1. philsparks

philsparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We currently have a SonyHS10 projector and a very dodgy ancient 15" portable TV. There's a cheapo Cyberhome DVD and a JVC s-VHS vid too.

The plan is to get a smallish LCD tv and a HTPC that can live in a cupboard under the telly. This PC will be networked to the main one meaning that we can check emails and so on from the lounge. Therefore it's important that the LCD telly had a VGA or DVI plug. the HTPC will take over DVD duties and with a Nebula card TV recording duties too. I'll prob keep the existing DVD and vid for kiddie use though. As long as it's faesible I'd like to be able to use the HTPC telly/DVDs on both the LCD TV and also the projector.

Having looked at all the reviews the 23" Phillips TV seems to get the best comments re picture quality. I can just about stretch to the £1200 - £1300 or so that it costs. The only problem is that the cupboard it would sit on is quite small and the Phillips TV is quite wide as it's speakers are like ears on either side of the screen - making a widescreen even wider. I spotted the 26" JVC model in JL recently and from a couple of comments on the forum it seems that there's a 22" on the way. As this has speakers below it seems a much better shape. However I haven't found anwhere with the dimensions of this set. Has anyone seen one in action yet and if so know how the picture qulity compares to the Philips? If not does anyone know when it's likely to be released?

Phil

2. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also looking for a mid-size lcd.

There is a 23 inch JVC model, search on www.pricerunner.co.uk under home ciinema, lcd etc.

Cheapest is £1169 at the moment.

I dont know if it gives dimensions on the site - it propably will on JVC's website.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have a Samsung LW22A13. This is a 22 incher, speakers below the screen, and a PC input that will cope with up to 1280x720.

4. philsparks

philsparks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's interesting - hadn't noticed that it had a pc input. How do you rate it as a TV? I still quite like analogue telly when there's a really decent aerial signal - how's the tuner in the Samsung?

Phil

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    For analog viewing, I'd describe it as adequate but not outstanding. It does produce pretty clean pictures. It's actually quite forgiving of poor quality (eg Long Play VHS) sources. The 'specially distorted to fit a widescreen TV' mode (they call it Panoramic) still retains a bit too much width in the centre so you can tell things are distorted.

Where it is (imo) outstanding when driven with RGB from a clean Freeview box. Or DVD.

You may be able to see one working in John Lewis.

As for PC input - it definitely works. I have used it with mine, driven at 800x600. I don't have a hugely clever graphics card so I can't do non-standard resolutions. At 800x600 the TV fills the whole screen with the signal (scales it)- meaning that the PC image is stretched widthways. I guess to overcome this you would need a video card that could drive a 16x9 ratio.