Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

mid-range vs higher end dvd players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dexter, Jun 1, 2004.

1. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the market for a new dvd player to run through my PTAE100 projector (progressive scan).

My question is this:

i was thinking of buying either the Pioneer dv757ai (originally £800 but now £450) or the arcam dv88+ (was £1000 now £500). However I have been reading reviews of the Cambridge Audio 540 Azur dvd player (£250) which look pretty good. This month's HCC even says that, on a "casual" basis, that it is difficult to tell the CA Azur apart from a Denon 2900 (same class as Pioneer and Arcam)!!!!! What is going on - are midrange players now competing against higher end models owing to leaps in technology? The Pioneer and CA weigh approximately the same - will damping, power supplies be similar, etc.? What will the more expensive models have over the CA? Is it simply build quality - though I have read that the CA has excellent build quality! DVD playback is a priority - DVD-A is nice - and SACD is not really an issue.

One more thing - the Pioneer has i-link and newer models carry HDMI. Should I forget all the above and wait for the price of newer players with these features to drop?

HELP!!!!!!!

2. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well i think that a casual observer who doesnt know better will likely see little between a £200 player and a £2000 player. It takes you to have a decent display and appreciate what a good picture means to notice differences..... ignorance is clearly bliss for your wallet!

Do you have a i-link capable amp?

I wouldnt bother yourself with hdmi, your display is incapable of using it. In your case, a good quality older player is probably best since these are designed to be doing analogue prog scan through component (which the ae100 likes) well, the cheaper new players will almost certainly be very good, but chances are that they will be adding the new features at the expense of the old analogue components....

ad

4. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks buns - information much appreciated!

So - if you were choosing between a Pioneer dv737 (about four years old I think - NTSC prog scan only) or a Cambridge Audio Azur 540 (NTSC and PAL prog scan + DVD Audio) - which would you go for? I have Region 1 and 2 discs and could be sold on DVD audio.

Cheers

5. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Dexter,
    I have recently bought the 757 to cover all bases and I am very happy but as mentioned by ad, you may see good results for less.
    For now I have both prog scan and audio formats covered and it is also fine with -R,
    Ged

6. jspr

jspr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have you considered the denon models ? Like you I thought about the pio 757 and arcam models but settled for the denon 2200. I've had it for a couple of weeks now and it's a major improvement over my old pio 717. I now have prog scan capability which gives better PQ on my plasma and the CD sound is much better than my old machine. Got mine for £470 and would definately recommend it. :smashin:

7. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the replies guys - much appreciated!!!

Anyone got any experience with the Cambridge Audio Azur 540?

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I didnt realise that the pioneer was only NTSC prog scan, that would be a bit off putting were i not using a video processor. I cant really make comparison to the CA though since i have never seen or used one..... can you get a demo to try it out?

ad

9. Graham N

Graham N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I recently purchased a Sharp Z10000 and was using it with my Marantz 4100 OSE DVD player connected with an S video lead. As expected reds bled a lot, although the picture was quite good.

My son also recently purchased a Cambridge 59 and Themescene H30. I borrowed his player to compare, my immediate impressions were that the picture was a lot sharper and the red bleeding was cured. The picture was better using interlaced from the player and letting the pj do the scaling and processing. The picture was slightly worse using the DVD players progressive output.

As I had a richer sounds extended warranty with the Marantz I had the option to trade in for half the purchase price of £400. I purchased the 540D and only had to pay £49 extra.

As the Marantz was now gone and my son has taken his 59 back I couldn't make any further comparisons but I have noticed a bigger difference in the picture using the Sharps scaling and processing compared to the 540D's own progressive output. I can't really say whether the Sharp is better with this player compared to the 59 or whether the 540D is worse than the 59 in progressive mode.

I forgot to mention, I am really impressed with the quality of CD playback with the 540D. It is better than the Marantz which had a reputation for good CD playback and compares well to my Marantz CD player which is a KIS model.

Cheers,

Graham

10. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to got the 540d yesterday and decided to give it a 2 week trial.

The video quality is top notch (Im not a videophile - just a guy who enjoys watching movies) and I am thinking of actually keeping it. I was originally going to buy a 2900 but saw the review on the 540d and decided to give it ago and to be honest I cant really see what extra picture quality I will get from the 2900 - probably the sound but again if you dont know what you are looking for I cant really comment.

I have also been using a HTPC with Radeon and Theatertek etc for 4 months or so and imho I think the 540D is better quality wise from component than the DVI of the HTPC and the HTPC Video Quality is excellent.

11. dexter

dexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Azur 540 is beginning to look rather tempting - but now to throw another spanner in the works I hear rumblings that CA could be launching a fully universal player later on in this year...

Why is buying home cinema stuff never easy?

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is always something new coming...... just get a good deal on what appeals now and then dont come back here until; you want to buy something else! :D

ad

13. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny. I've been looking for a prog scan dvd player, and just come across the Cambridge stuff at Richer Sounds myself. My biggest problem is that I need a play that will convert interlaced NTSC to PAL60, until I upgrade the T.V.

According to Richer Sounds, all the CA players do this. Can anyone confirm and give further details? Is it selectable, does NTSC PS output as NTSC PS??

Thanks