Mid range driver not working (Please see the photo)

AlexJealux

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

While I was listening to music all of sudden one speaker stop functioning. So I took out the midrange driver and saw that the wire underneath the cone has come off. There is no sound coming from the midrange whatsoever. I dont know what might have caused this to happen. My speaker(Tannoy 632) is pretty old. Just wanted to know if it can be repaired without having to buy a used driver since I couldn't find one anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
It's possible but fiddly to repair! I did a vintage Tannoy 12" driver for someone a while ago that had failed in a similar place.

You need to carefully remove the black gunk on the top of the cone where the wire should be connected to the end of the very fine wire leading to the coil. You will need to re-attach the wire by soldering them back together. Tinsel wire is not fun to solder, so make sure you clean it back first with some emery paper. Once you have made the joint, give it a test and reseal it back to the cone with some mastic. Repair any damage to the cone with some tissue paper and PVA.

It's possible but fiddly to repair! I did a vintage Tannoy 12" driver for someone a while ago that had failed in a similar place.

You need to carefully remove the black gunk on the top of the cone where the wire should be connected to the end of the very fine wire leading to the coil. You will need to re-attach the wire by soldering them back together. Tinsel wire is not fun to solder, so make sure you clean it back first with some emery paper. Once you have made the joint, give it a test and reseal it back to the cone with some mastic. Repair any damage to the cone with some tissue paper and PVA.

I can get it repaired then, I was worried that I would not be able to use it again. Appreciate your response, thank you.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom