Mid-range bookshelf speaker advice

Bob Sacamano

Standard Member
Having inherited a bit of money, I’m looking to put together a new, mid-range system from scratch. So far I’ve picked up a Rega Planar 3 (with the Elys 2 cartridge) and Rega Brio amp, but am struggling to choose a pair of sneakers to finish it off. With Covid, going to a shop for a demo isn’t likely for a while.

Budget is a max of £600ish, but happy to spend less. I live in a flat in London so my room isn't huge but there’s space for stands with a few feet of clearance from the wall. I’ve been strongly considering the B&W 607 s2 and 606 s2, but also looking at the KEF Q350s and Q Acoustics Concept 20. Does anyone have any advice or similar experience?

For context, I’ll be playing a broad range of music, but mainly electronic / dance, jazz and pop, with some indie & hip-hop. I’ll wont be listening at particularly loud volumes most of the time...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Orobas

Having inherited a bit of money, I’m looking to put together a new, mid-range system from scratch. So far I’ve picked up a Rega Planar 3 (with the Elys 2 cartridge) and Rega Brio amp, but am struggling to choose a pair of sneakers to finish it off. With Covid, going to a shop for a demo isn’t likely for a while.

Budget is a max of £600ish, but happy to spend less. I live in a flat in London so my room isn't huge but there’s space for stands with a few feet of clearance from the wall. I’ve been strongly considering the B&W 607 s2 and 606 s2, but also looking at the KEF Q350s and Q Acoustics Concept 20. Does anyone have any advice or similar experience?

For context, I’ll be playing a broad range of music, but mainly electronic / dance, jazz and pop, with some indie & hip-hop. I’ll wont be listening at particularly loud volumes most of the time...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Which "Brio" do you have.. the new Brio-R or the older one ?

Orobas

Sorry - it’s the Brio-R!
Ah nice.. well the amp is decent and pretty tolerant .. so my initial nods speaker wise would be ..

Focal Chora 806 .. Focals are pretty much the "Mr Polite" of the speaker world.. good against a wall.. nothing bloated on them.. but nothing to shout about either.. they are a good neutral speaker for the Rega

Sonus Faber Lumina are ideal speakers.. very cosy and warm and laid back ... cant match the bigger focal for bass but they are superior for mids anyday of the week.

Rega's own RX1 or Kyte are the obvious choice as its matched to their kit..

If you dont mind a very brash presentation .. then the Dynaudio Emit M20 will fit nicely with the Brio .. the Brio will tame the Dyn's mid/top down quite a bit and will turn it almost civilised with a smile on your lips

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
There are guys on here that rate the higher range Rega amps with the Kef R range so the Q350 would be my first pick, especially for vinyl. B&W tend to be a bit brighter sounding if that is more your style. I would also add the Monitor Audio Silver 100 to the list with its 8” woofer which should add a bit of weight to the sound on the electronic stuff, there are a couple of places got these as clearance or ex demo at around £550.

These are in Holborn ex demo and stock Rega kit so may be able to book a demo as they should be open now - Monitor Audio Silver 100 (Black Oak) Speakers (Pair)

Edit - The Wharfedale Evo 4.2 again may be worth trying to listen to, getting great reviews and are a 3 way speaker which should provide a very good sound.

Last edited:

Costello

I heard the Brio with the B & W 606 S2. Terrific combination in my opinion. Very personal choice, speakers. Go for an audition 👍

muljao

The q acoustics 3030i are getting rave reviews everywhere and are very competitively priced. You can't go by all reviews I know, but even the review here on avforums reckons it's the 500 pounds speaker to beat. I don't know personally how rega acts with q acoustics, but I've read a good few positive reports.

Onlythesound

Agree with @Costello ; speakers are such a personal choice. Try to hang on til you can audition. I have the 606 - previous version of the S2 - and the Concept 20. Both are exceptional with MY system and there, of course, lies the rub...

acgingersnaps

Hi. Records, as we know, are expensive. If you get the QA Concept 20, you'll have a fantastic sounding, vinyl friendly, system and £300+ to spend on records. At £229 at the mo, I don't tbink any of the speakers in the £500/£600 bracket are £300/£400 better. The QA are a steal at that price.

Paul7777x

The new Rega Kytes would be my first choice.

Never heard a Rega speaker that wasn’t infectiously fab.

Or these perhaps, good price too.

Ps, I’d not really consider anything ‘lesser’ as it were. The Brio deserves, and can handle, speakers above its price class.

Orobas

Ps, I’d also be very tempted to break the budget a smidge and go for these beautiful things.

Used to own a few pairs of Faber's over the years and they never failed to disappoint with rega amps.. used the Concertino's with the original brio and that awesome wacky planet cd player they did which was out of this world lol.. and by jove did they sing... then .. unfortunately for my rega setup.. i found Nytech's ion obliesk with its darlington pair output and that became my number one amp for years.

Bob Sacamano

Standard Member
Wow, thanks all for the suggestions, appreciate you taking the time..

I should be able to get out to a shop for a demo in early May, so that gives me a few weeks to research and make a shortlist - wish me luck!

dogfonos

Whatever speaker you choose, make sure it's a good size fit for the room. If you can, choose a demo room of similar size to your listening room.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom