mid- range av receiver advice request

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by psychobod, Jul 30, 2012.

1. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have, due to Virgin not supporting component out and my current V+ box going wrong, had to replace a perfectly good pwd8 plasma with a new Panasonic TX- P42ST50B 3D Plasma.

My setup before was
    42Pwd8 Pc component connected to component out of
    Denon 2105 av receiver
    With virgin V+ box, Panasonic DVD player and Panasonic DVD recorder connected via optical connect for sound, and component connections for video.
    Canton cd-50 speakers for front L and R, and Centre
    Canton cd- 10 for L and R rear

I now have the TX-P42ST50B connected via HDMI to
    Virgin 1TB TiVo box
    Panasonic DMP-BDT320 blu ray player
    Panasonic DVD recorder

With the Denon and speakers

I had such bad lip- synch problems with the setup through my Denon av receiver with all components sound in via optical in, and an optical out to the TV, that I have had to get another optical cable for the Plasma to av receiver. However, this seems to negate the sound processing of the amp. My Denon does not have lip-synch delay.

I have decided to sell my DVD player, the pwd8 and my amp, and get a 3D compatible amp that can take hdmi 1.4. The tv has Viera connect and wi-fi, so I can access digital radio via the Internet through that if need be, as well as (I think) access networked audio and video files.

First of all, am I missing something obvious that would negate me needing to upgrade my amp? Or is it just time to get an hdmi compatible av receiver?

Secondly, I have been looking at the following amps:
    Onkyo TX-NR609 (399 at exceptional audio video)
    Onkyo TX-NR509 (350 from same place)
    Marantz NR1602 (389 from Peter Tyson - my wife really favours a slimline av amp!)
    Denon AVR1713 (399 from superfi)
    Yamaha RXV671 (350 ex display from Sevenoaks)

I want to keep the speakers, and £400 is my absolute limit.

Which of these is best suited to my setup?
    Any other suggestions?
    Given I have Viera smart connect, would getting an amp that can access a network (I would have to use one of those power cable network connectors if the amp does not have wi-fi) provide better quality access to Internet radio, or more flexibility re other Internet apps?

Oh, and being able to plug my iPod in (I also have an iPad) would be important. Not sure if AirPlay is that important.

Your help will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Greg

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Having to have the TV on to listen to internet radio seems a bit 'overkill'. Buying an AV receiver with network capability would make sense. Unfortunately they don't have wifi. Several can be made wireless by purchasing optional dongles but if you have a homeplug for powerline ethernet, that will work fine. That is how I have connected all my devices to my router. Airplay enables you to connect IOS devices wirelessly to the AV receiver for audio file playback. I can stream music stored on my iphone to my Yamaha AV receiver using the free Yamaha AV controller app and it actually works very well so I have no need for Airplay.

3. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments. I thought the Yamaha RXV473 had wireless (?) and have considered that. Is that what you have? Would you think the RXV671 is worth the extra money?

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I should have said that most AV receivers don't have wireless. Some new high-end models have introdued wi-fi but most don't. The RX-V473 has airplay which enables streaming from ios devices but if you want to use internet radio or streaming from a PC/NAS you need to use wired as far as I know. Check the online manual to be sure.

5. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info. Yep - have noticed a few of the higher end recent amps have wi-fi, but most are networked. Just the extra cost of powerline ethernet to my router, and needing to find the extra plug space! Probably worth it, though, to enable audio and video streaming from my pc, or use of AirPlay from my iPad.

Anyone out there have any recommendations regarding an av receiver around £300 to £400?

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If you buy an AV home plug you can plug your extension cable into it. I have SimplerNetworks home plugs that can do this.

7. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That looks great. Will it cause interference with my wi-fi?

Any opinions on the Denon avr-2312 anyone? I see I can get it for about the SAme as the 1912, or the Yamaha rxv671.

8. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I haven't noticed any interference. There is a lengthy thread on home plugs on the networks sub forum. The 2312 is considered to be a model above so if you can get it for the same price as lesser models, it's a no-brainer and would be my choice.

9. psychobod

psychobod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. Think I might go for the 2312. My current Denon has been a pleasure.