• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Mid range Amp - Marantz PM6006 vs Cambridge Audio CXA60

CR1980

Novice Member
Hi

I'm in the market for a new amp to fit within a separates system. I intend to use a streamer (possibly Bluesound Node 2i) predominantly but want versatility for other inputs (e.g. CD) and something that will last for years. Budget £300-600.

The Marantz PM6006 tends to get good reviews. But another amp that caught my eye was the Cambridge Audio CXA60. Any opinions on the relative qualities of each? Would it be worth the extra cost of the CXA60?

Thanks
Chris

Deaf Leopard

Standard Member
I have the older Marantz PM6005 and think its a terrific amp, I've also heard the CXA60 and thought it was very good but my ears preferred the Marantz. Best thing to do would be set up Demo for both.

What speakers are you going to use or are you planning on buying new speakers?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Yamaha rn803d fits the bill as a decent amp with a ton of features. Top end of budget though.

CR1980

Novice Member
I will be getting new speakers eventually, but priority is an amp as the current one needs replacing. Thinking of going to Richer Sounds for a demo. My local (Chiswick) is quite small but hopefully they've have what I'm looking at.

muljao

Prominent Member
I will be getting new speakers eventually, but priority is an amp as the current one needs replacing. Thinking of going to Richer Sounds for a demo. My local (Chiswick) is quite small but hopefully they've have what I'm looking at.
Let us know how you get on. I have and love the marantz albeit non uk versions (really :) :) )

From all I've read these 2 are close with the ca edging it

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
If you buy the CA then make sure you also take out extended warranty. Their business model seems to be based on replacing anything that breaks under warranty & washing their hands of anything outside. I strongly suspect that they have no repair facilities.

dollag

Prominent Member
if your looking for a streamer too, i'd consider something like the yamaha wxc50 preamp and pairing it with a nice power amp like the emotiva a300. bang for buck, you'll a brick load of very clean power and all the features you would need for £750.

im sure it would be hard to demo that combo, but the emotiva power has no characteristics on the sound, so if you can demo the wxc-50 you'll get an idea of sound

Deaf Leopard

Standard Member
if your looking for a streamer too, i'd consider something like the yamaha wxc50 preamp and pairing it with a nice power amp like the emotiva a300. bang for buck, you'll a brick load of very clean power and all the features you would need for £750.

im sure it would be hard to demo that combo, but the emotiva power has no characteristics on the sound, so if you can demo the wxc-50 you'll get an idea of sound

I've been looking into the route as well and trying to demo a power amp and pre amp combo, I'm lucky where i am there is quite a few dedicated hi-fi shops. The Emotiva a300 looks interesting but it dosen't look like much of a space saver but if your getting a smaller pre-amp then it shouldn't make much of a difference. I'm looking at a few options at the weekend and just ordered KEF R300 speakers. Best thing to do as mentioned as keep an open mind a demo quite a few different options before making decision.

dollag

Prominent Member
Great speakers and at their price atm, untouchable.

Defo try and audition as much as you can.

CR1980

Novice Member
So, went and demo'd the 2 amps at Richer Sounds. Tried the Marantz first then the Cambridge. Immediately preferred the Cambridge and ended up listening to it much more than the Marantz as it was just more enjoyable. It sounded brighter, fuller, and i could hear more detail. The Marantz sounded a bit dull and muddy by comparison. I still enjoyed listening to some music through the Marantz and it wasn't bad, I just felt the Cambridge was on another level.

Just set up the amp and home and enjoying it so far but will take a while before I get a full sense of what it's capable of.

gibbsy

Always go for one that puts the biggest smile on your face. Sounds like the Cambridge has done that for you.:smashin:

Deaf Leopard

Standard Member
So, went and demo'd the 2 amps at Richer Sounds. Tried the Marantz first then the Cambridge. Immediately preferred the Cambridge and ended up listening to it much more than the Marantz as it was just more enjoyable. It sounded brighter, fuller, and i could hear more detail. The Marantz sounded a bit dull and muddy by comparison. I still enjoyed listening to some music through the Marantz and it wasn't bad, I just felt the Cambridge was on another level.

Just set up the amp and home and enjoying it so far but will take a while before I get a full sense of what it's capable of.

Everyone’s ears are different so it’s good you tried before you buy.

Make sure and give an update to how your gettting on with running it on for a while on your existing setup

CR1980

Novice Member
Everyone’s ears are different so it’s good you tried before you buy.

Make sure and give an update to how your gettting on with running it on for a while on your existing setup
So, tried out quite a range of music now: Captain Beefheart, Miles Davis, Beethoven and the amp seems to handle everything well with plenty of detail and doesn't colour the sound too much to my ears. It enabled me to decide which of my two CD players to keep, as I could clearly hear the difference now whereas I couldn't before.

In relation to streamers, I'm still OK with the Chromecast Audio for now. I tried the Chromecast with the amp via both digital and audio inputs. Was hoping the Cambridge amp's DAC would be a noticeable improvement but couldn't really hear any difference. I guess the Chromecast DAC must be reasonably decent.

Last edited:

Radioheed

Novice Member
So, tried out quite a range of music now: Captain Beefheart, Miles Davis, Beethoven and the amp seems to handle everything well with plenty of detail and doesn't colour the sound too much to my ears. It enabled me to decide which of my two CD players to keep, as I could clearly hear the difference now whereas I couldn't before.

In relation to streamers, I'm still OK with the Chromecast Audio for now. I tried the Chromecast with the amp via both digital and audio inputs. Was hoping the Cambridge amp's DAC would be a noticeable improvement but couldn't really hear any difference. I guess the Chromecast DAC must be reasonably decent.

Make sure you have HDR selected on the Chromecast?

vatir

Standard Member
I tried Both PM6006 and CXA60 just over a month ago.
and between the 2 I preferred the sound of 6006 but this is my personal preference.

BUT then I also listened to Yamaha N803D and this to me sounded very very good too and with the added option of streaming UPNP which is awesome for my Flac collection as well as Qobuz Studio.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom