Mid-range 4K TV suggestions for watching terrestrial TV, streaming and Blu-ray

calread

Novice Member
UK buyer here, I’m currently trying to convince my parents to make the switch from our HD 1080p Panasonic to a 4K one and have been researching various different models and specs and was hoping to get some more opinions and suggestions as to possible ones to check out. I’d be using it mostly for watching terrestrial TV, streaming and watching Blu-rays. I’d like to get into gaming more in the future (Nintendo Switch, PS5 when it comes out) but that’s not a priority. One thing I learnt early on was of the different HDR formats and that all your equipment needs to support the HDR format you’re trying to watch in order to get the best viewing experience. I found a few TVs that seem to support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision (the two formats most 4K Blu-rays are released in) but am wondering whether this is a too-good-to-be-true scenario and they support both mediocrely rather than focusing on one and doing it really well. The main one I’ve been looking at is the Panasonic GX800
Bearing in mind, I’m not sure I could convince my parents to spend over a grand (at the moment at least) so was wondering whether that’s a good budget option or whether I should go for one that just supports one HDR format but does it very well.
I’m also conflicted on whether an LCD or OLED TV would be best, obviously I know OLED would be more expensive but just wanna know which one would suit more before deciding. My main priorities when it comes to picture quality is sharpness, brightness and deep blacks. We watch our current TV from about 5-6 ft away and sometimes slightly at an angle but fairly central.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Why not buy the new TV as a present for your parents as it sounds like it’s more for you than them? ;)
But wait until later in the year when prices have dropped from their current high release prices.

The GX800 is a Panasonic not Samsung FYI

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
UK buyer here, I’m currently trying to convince my parents to make the switch from our HD 1080p Panasonic to a 4K one and have been researching various different models and specs and was hoping to get some more opinions and suggestions as to possible ones to check out. I’d be using it mostly for watching terrestrial TV, streaming and watching Blu-rays. I’d like to get into gaming more in the future (Nintendo Switch, PS5 when it comes out) but that’s not a priority. One thing I learnt early on was of the different HDR formats and that all your equipment needs to support the HDR format you’re trying to watch in order to get the best viewing experience. I found a few TVs that seem to support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision (the two formats most 4K Blu-rays are released in) but am wondering whether this is a too-good-to-be-true scenario and they support both mediocrely rather than focusing on one and doing it really well. The main one I’ve been looking at is the Samsung GX800
Bearing in mind, I’m not sure I could convince my parents to spend over a grand (at the moment at least) so was wondering whether that’s a good budget option or whether I should go for one that just supports one HDR format but does it very well.
I’m also conflicted on whether an LCD or OLED TV would be best, obviously I know OLED would be more expensive but just wanna know which one would suit more before deciding. My main priorities when it comes to picture quality is sharpness, brightness and deep blacks. We watch our current TV from about 5-6 ft away and sometimes slightly at an angle but fairly central.

The main problem is OLED's give you the deep blacks, but top end LCD's give you the great HDR, and to be far also very good blacks. You'll be hard pressed to get an OLED under a grand. What size television are you hoping for? If you can still get one the 55" Sony XG95 is probably your best bet at just shy of a grand with a six year warranty from RS.

Dodgexander

GX800 is overpriced, I'd avoid it personally.

Best buys are all in my guide here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

First take note of the OP and read about which panel is suited to their conditions. Then make your choice based on that. Many 2019 models will be out of stock now, in which case its best not to buy now and wait for Black Friday or later (current 2020 models are overpriced).

Some TVs that are still knocking about in the guide are:

Philips OLED754 - Entry level OLED at £900 or so
You may still find an LG B9 or Panasonic GZ950, also around £1000
On the LCD TV from its really only the XG9505 or XF9005...but they are harder and harder to find.

Read the special mention section regarding the GX800. Also important the link I posted to explain about HDR. On the outset TVs like the GX800 look like they have all the HDR you need, but there's much more to HDR than only the format the TV accepts.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom