1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Performance PC -Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by vex, Jun 14, 2005.

1. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    It is time for a new PC. :clap:

I have an acceptable LCD Screen and will just need a desk top with a new keyboard, mouse etc.

I want to be able to edit the DV from our new camcorder. Other desires are.

512 or 1G Memory
    100Gb + Hard Drive
    Network Connection
    Lots of USB ports

Have not looked at pc's or specs for about 3 years what else should I consider and where should I go. :lease:

If budget allows, I might even want to add a couple of tv / freeview cards for future storage/distribtution down to the lounge.

2. marky_h

marky_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I presume the DV cam connects via Firewire? If so, it makes sense to choose a suitably-equipped motherboard. I've built quite a few MSI and Asus-based systems (as regular PC's and media centres) and they are pretty steady, so I'd recommend either of those, or Gigabyte, as a mobo manufacturer.

A custom-built system with a gig of RAM, 120 GB HDD, DVD Writer and an AMD 3000+ processor, plus a reasonable graphics card and case would leave you some change from £400.

3. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe media transcoding and encoding is one of the few things that still seems to work better on Intel processors.